BookCase Update and HDR Photog

Page 2 of 4

Funny, I'm not as much into woodworking as I was just a couple of years ago (could you tell?). The camera and lenses are much easier to tote around than the former tools of the trade. Digital photography has been a game-changer. I've always looked at photography as the lazy man's art from. And, I certainly resemble that remark.
Dave in Houston

LOL and I got tired of toting the big bag and lenses. Now I just use an umm errrr uhhhh a small, MAN bag. for the camera.

Ok, I can see where both ways would be to an advantage on certain situations.
I checked my camera and AE autobracketing switches to shutter priority when in Apeture or Shutter priority mode. It does AE autobracket with Apeture priority when in Program mode...

Shooting in RAW is also a

Not correct, I never shood in RAW for HDR, always jpg.

I can no longer remember where I got that idea. I had to go into some of my bracketed RAW files, convert them to jpgs just to run them back through Photomatix to see for myself - voila. I know that Photomatix recommends jpgs or tiff files for the exposure fusion option but cannot conjure up a clue as to where I got the RAW-file-only brain fart. Chalk that up to input overload.
Dave in Houston
Snip

I hear you.. ultimately you get a better result in RAW IIRC... ;~) But man those things are big..
I have been using Paint Shop Pro for many years, since it was free IIRC. Version 3.?
Currently this program X2 has an HDR function and the function is pretty simple. The program has not been as good since Corel purchased it from JASC but the program has a lot of bang for the buck.
On 1/15/2010 11:19 AM, Leon wrote:

Still using JASC version of PSP 6.02 ... runs fine under Vista. Basically refuse to load ANY Corel and their bloated POS' ... really hated to see JASC sell out back then.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

IIRC Kim has PSP 10 or 11 on her Vista laptop.. Came preloaded however. IIRC JASC had it up to 8 or 9

A common refrain amongst the long-time users that frequent the Corel Servers' newsgroups. The consensus is that Corel has thinned the ranks of its code writers to the point that PSP gets scant attention anymore and therefore has not begun to keep up with the competition. That and all the firesale prices you see (FREE after rebate!) lend rise to the idea that it will be history in the not-too-distant future. Of late I get email offers from Corel almost weekly. I do miss Word Perfect, v8 being the last we had.
Dave in Houston

Kai Power Tools and Painter are not in tune with the end users anymore either. And WordPerfect was a standard for a long time, they let it slip away. As Canadians, we're pretty proud of RIM, but Corel can take a hike.
On 1/15/2010 2:50 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I like RIM also ... just wish they'd get off the GML quest and get back to dancing with who brung'em ... if I wanted to play games, I wouldn't do it on my crackberry.
Lately RIM's been leaning toward consumer driven, instead of business driven ... screw a bunch of ADHD twits and their jesus phone complex.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Could not agree more. If I want to play a game, I'll borrow my kid's Playstation and hook it up to my plasma. Other than that, my Blackberry is my life-line. SMS, as well as eMail and of course, convos. The only other app I have ever used on my BB, is the GPS trying to find an address whilst walking around during the Montreal Jazz Festival. (Isn't 'whilst' a cool word?? LOL).. oh and the weather report. I'm pretty much entrenched in Apple computers. My family and I use 5 of them in our household and one is a server. I still couldn't fall for the eye-candy trap of the iPhone. It's cute and fun...but I ain't a high school kid anymore. Funny enough, my 16-year old uses a BB too "the iPod, is oh-so yesterday, daaaad". (Atta girl!)

That and the version changes are coming much farther in between. Corel already had this type software, I would not be surprised at all if they were simply buying out the competition.

You mean like Adobe buying Aldus and Macromedia?

You mean like Adobe buying Aldus and Macromedia?
No I mean like the Houston Chronicle buying out the Houston Post.. ;~) Unfortunately the Post was pretty much immediately closed down and it's employees terminated. That was exactly when I dropped the Chronicle.

You mean Houston's No. 1 information source? It will soon go the way of the [print] dinosaur, not to mention many other major metropolitan newspapers that have already bitten the dust. We used to have a 30 pound Sheltie that would get the Chronicle for me Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. The rest of the week it was too heavy or large for him to get it in his mouth. Now we've got a 14 pound Sheltie that can fetch it Monday through Friday most weeks.
Dave in Houston

Not nearly as big as TIFF files! Those are gargantuan! Then again, Hard Drive storage is CHEAP these days. I just put a 1T Barracuda in my desktop for $89+ (and did a clean install of Windows 7 HP). Now I wish I'd bought a 1T WS MyBook instead of the 500 gig that I did buy back in 2008.

Been using PSP since v.XI, now on v.X2U, the U meaning" ultimate." The consensus in the Corel newsgroup(s) is that PSP is headed for the scrap heap. IIRC somebody else recently bought out Corel (another brain fart?). Don't use it too much any more since I bought the D300 and subsequently discovered Capture NX, now NX2. Oddly enough I usually do initial tweaking of HDR files in PSP. Heavy-handed use of 'CLARIFY,' (under Brightness and Contrast) say, level 6 or 8 gives them an over-the-top, sometimes surrealistic look. I haven't even tried PSP's HDR function.
Dave in Houston
Yes, TIF(F) files are huge, but when compressed with LZW, it is a lossless compression. But the effectiveness of .lzw compression depends on the content. A picture with leaves and grass won't compress very well, but a nightscape or a snowy field would compress nicely.
On 01/14/2010 03:48 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Film generally has higher dynamic range to start with, so you can play games at scanning time (if digitizing later) or at printing time (if using wet chemistry).
Rather than driving from a laptop, my DSLR has the option to automatically take up to 7 shots with configurable EV differences between the shots. I can then set it on a 2 second delay before the initial shot to avoid mirror slap issues.
Chris

That's pretty cool. What are you shooting with? I have a Canon DSLR Rebel XT (with cheap lens). I can bracket shots (one under and over at a 2EV max). I like the idea of the 7 configurable shots.