Bookcase progress (Brrr it's cold!)

Hey fellow saw dusters!
Check out my progress on my cherry bookcase:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Bookcase.php
Still need to glue the sides together, molding for bottom, shelves, make the lid, etc...
Suggestions, comments, concerns? Let me have it.
Thanks, Brian http://www.garagewoodworks.com
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:14:13 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks >

Maybe it's just me, but it looks a little busy with flutes all over the place. My preference would be just to use flutes on corners. No insult intended.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 12, 10:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

The CAD drawing needs to be updated. The flutes are only on the front on the front corner posts (scroll all the way down on the website page).
Personally, I hate flutes (unless it's the instrument). The flutes are a request from the client.
Thanks for the reply.
Add pictures here
✖

Looks like you could store lead shot on it if you wanted... ;!) So far So good.
As you probably know... Brrrrrrrr... let the glue cure for a long time in the cold weather. Even in Houston in November a couple of months ago I removed the clamps too soon on some 3/16" thick veneer.
Add pictures here
✖

The glue has a "Don't use below 50F" warning on it. I applied the glue and cleaned the squeeze out in the shop and the wife let me bring them inside.
I have a propane heater, but it only gets me up to 55F.
Add pictures here
✖

When it's cold enough, forever isn't long enough. You NEED to get the work warm to glue with most glues or the strength is never there.
Add pictures here
✖

Well with that experience I'll always proceed with caution... Oddly I had glued 16 pieces of 3.5" x 3'-4', 3/16" thick oak veneer that I had cut, on top of 4 made up 3/4" plywood hollow posts. All done at the same time all but 2 were fine. Those 2 were not in the clamps as long. I suppose because it was cooler and I only left the pieces in the clamps for 1 hr may have been the problem. The other pieces had been in the clamps over night.
Add pictures here
✖
The tapered fluting video is awesome. Very well done. You really studied the art and perfected it and provided a great documentation. Thanks!
I've done them a few times myself and your technique is a big improvement and much less work then the jigs I was making.
I have always been bothered by power tools in video. I have some hearing loss (don't know how that could have happend after 40 years of drums and head often found inside in a woodworking machine) and I usually have the videos up loud or have headphones on so I can hear it. I've always wished they would soften the audio while the tool is running. The sound does nothing to help unless you are listening for drag or something.
I will (eventually) do some videos myself and I plan to have sweet soft music fade in over the power tool sounds ;^).

✖

Thanks. I wish the lighting was better for that video. After that video I started to pay more attention to lighting (tons of info on youtube for this).

The hardest part for me was getting the spacing right in-between flutes and leaving the same space on the outside edges. The shims have to be dead-on, which only takes a few practice trials.

Oddly enough I just started trying to learn the drums. I bought a five piece kit for my son and we are both trying to learn together. I found a great site for free lessons and there is a bunch on youtube. I started wearing my hearing protection when practicing.

Add pictures here
✖