Bookcase progress (Brrr it's cold!)

Hey fellow saw dusters!

Check out my progress on my cherry bookcase:

need to glue the sides together, molding for bottom, shelves, make the lid, etc...

Suggestions, comments, concerns? Let me have it.

Thanks, Brian

GarageWoodworks

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 19:14:13 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks >

Maybe it's just me, but it looks a little busy with flutes all over the place. My preference would be just to use flutes on corners. No insult intended.

Reply to
upscale

The CAD drawing needs to be updated. The flutes are only on the front on the front corner posts (scroll all the way down on the website page).

Personally, I hate flutes (unless it's the instrument). The flutes are a request from the client.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

good.

As you probably know... Brrrrrrrr... let the glue cure for a long time in the cold weather. Even in Houston in November a couple of months ago I removed the clamps too soon on some 3/16" thick veneer.

Reply to
Leon

The glue has a "Don't use below 50F" warning on it. I applied the glue and cleaned the squeeze out in the shop and the wife let me bring them inside.

I have a propane heater, but it only gets me up to 55F.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

When it's cold enough, forever isn't long enough. You NEED to get the work warm to glue with most glues or the strength is never there.

Reply to
clare

The tapered fluting video is awesome. Very well done. You really studied the art and perfected it and provided a great documentation. Thanks!

I've done them a few times myself and your technique is a big improvement and much less work then the jigs I was making.

I have always been bothered by power tools in video. I have some hearing loss (don't know how that could have happend after 40 years of drums and head often found inside in a woodworking machine) and I usually have the videos up loud or have headphones on so I can hear it. I've always wished they would soften the audio while the tool is running. The sound does nothing to help unless you are listening for drag or something.

I will (eventually) do some videos myself and I plan to have sweet soft music fade in over the power tool sounds ;^).

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thanks. I wish the lighting was better for that video. After that video I started to pay more attention to lighting (tons of info on youtube for this).

The hardest part for me was getting the spacing right in-between flutes and leaving the same space on the outside edges. The shims have to be dead-on, which only takes a few practice trials.

Oddly enough I just started trying to learn the drums. I bought a five piece kit for my son and we are both trying to learn together. I found a great site for free lessons and there is a bunch on youtube. I started wearing my hearing protection when practicing.

Reply to
Brian Grella

Well with that experience I'll always proceed with caution... Oddly I had glued 16 pieces of 3.5" x 3'-4', 3/16" thick oak veneer that I had cut, on top of 4 made up 3/4" plywood hollow posts. All done at the same time all but 2 were fine. Those 2 were not in the clamps as long. I suppose because it was cooler and I only left the pieces in the clamps for 1 hr may have been the problem. The other pieces had been in the clamps over night.

Reply to
Leon