Blade burning hard maple

Possibly because it is white. Any discoloration will show up. On woods with color any slight discoloration may be masked.

Reply to
Leon

At one time I worked for a guitar mfg. They ripped many board feet of hard maple with no problems. It was a heavy, three phase Delta with a 10" blade. The blade was a ~ 24 tooth carbide. I don't recall it ever getting dull. I remember walking into the saw area and some fool had put a plain steel, crosscut, blade on the saw. He started to rip a 2" thick piece of maple and got about 4" into the cut when the blade started to smoke and turn black. That was as far as he got. I suppose that was when they went to carbide. :-) I'll bet the OP just needs a sharp rip blade.

Reply to
gray_wolf

fine crosscut blade on it now. I assume I need a new/better blade. What's t he recommendation? I can't afford top, top of the line.

r Freight. I know, I know, but just try it.

de the Harbor Freight store and bought the Admiral 50tooth C3 blade. That's the first time I've been in HF.Things feel a little cheap in there, but I' m hopeful about this blade. I'll put it on later and try it out and issue a report. Also, thanks for the coupon! Sadly, it did not work for the blade.

So, Dr. Deb, where do I sent your consulting fee? That Harbor Freight blade cuts through hard maple like buttah. I'm not sure how long it will, but it 's working great now.

Leon, you are sooo right that the jointer can throw off square. I appreciat e the help.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

+1 for the washing soda.

"Simple Green" also works great. I use a 5-qt. oil drain pan from Wally World, as cheap as cheap can get.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Wow Mike, I appreciate your recognizing that fact so quickly, it commonly falls on deaf ears. The jointer is mostly for conditioning before shaping, not shaping after cutting. ;~) Good on you!

Reply to
Leon

I went ahead and bought Rockler's pitch and resin remover. It was 12 bucks for a spray bottle. It's not supposed to harm the blade's coating.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Actually, it lasts a fairly long time. For $19.95, you can't afford to sharpen it, you just get a new one.

I did not want to mention this, because of the flack I would/will take, but I did a side by side with a Woodworker II and sent the WW2 back.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Define a fairly long time. For occasionally use that is perfectly fine. I have a WWII that has been sharpened 3 times in 17 years. My total all in cost of that is under $200. Building an average of 7 pieces of furniture per year.

Your are right about reshaprening, that would be a minimum of $25.

Reply to
Leon

Another bio degradable cleaner that works quickly is CMT2050. The small bottle will clean a blade, for me, about 10~15 times. No need to submerge the blade, just spray on and let it sit a couple of minutes and wipe off. It has a citrus orange aroma.

Leon

The lid from a 5 gallon plastic bucket works well as a shallow pan. No worries about damaging a tooth, conserves whatever cleaning solution you pick.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

"Dr. Deb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

What? You're a complete fool and water maroon. There's no wayz your cheap bladez runz az goodz as a Fess Tool Woodworker II!!!!!!elevenhundredeleven

I might have to pop in to HF and pick one of them up to see. I've started running Bosch blades with C3 carbide in my TS. They seem to be good quality, at least as good as the Freuds from HD.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Neither will washing soda. And 12 bucks worth of washing soda will clean your saw blades for the rest of your life.

Reply to
Doug Miller