bisquick joiner questions

Yeah. But in an environmentally conscious move that surprised even me, he re-used the same one that tech support left behind ... something called a "keyboard nut".

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Peter Huebner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

That is an interesting technique. I'll have to find a few pieces of scrap and give that a try.

I live about a mile from the Everglades (a large swamp). Humidity is one thing we have plenty of :-)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

"Andy Dingley" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Yes, I had noticed that a stout blow with the flat of the hand is often necessary to get the pieces to set tightly together. Which is kinda hard on the hands :-)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I've always given the biscuits a brief dunk in water when using poly glue, just beacuse I read somewhere long ago that it was "a good idea" These glues cure by reacting with moisture so it makes sense. Moisture also makes the biscuits swell, so don't wait too long to insert them after they are dampened.

With regular yellow glue I've found that using the head end of a

10d finish nail that's been partially tapped into a wooden handle is useful for spreading the glue around inside the slots.
Reply to
Larry

It was written:

I have a rubber "dead blow" (shot-filled) mallet of black rubber and yes it will mark the wood, but covering it with an old heavy sock prevents that and lets me use one of those many socks whose twin has gone missing.

Reply to
Larry

If you think black rubber marks the wood now, wait until someone has used it for breaking up bitumen / emptying the cat litter tray with it, and you didn't notice because it was already black.

With my white mallet, I can _see_ that it's clean.

I don't use my hands for this because they've often got glue on them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I recall a thread here years ago from someone who sanded his tabletop and the next day found that it had depressions in it, and coincidentally, they all seemed to be right where the biskits were. Very visible after the finish was on.

Turned out that he'd sanded within twelve hours of joining the panel. The biscuits had swollen, expanding the wood slightly, and then returned to normal size. He had sanded before they'd shrunk.

And at a wood show once a guy who was demoing a biscuit joiner said that glues these days were so strong the wood fails before the glue does, you might as well use the biscuits just for alignment, and not put any glue on 'em.

So for my last several panels I haven't put any glue on the biscuits or in the slots. Everyplace except where the biscuits were. Oldest one is two years old. No sign of a problem.

It appears as though there might be more than one way to do it. :-)

Reply to
else24

In article ,

Andy D>On 13 Feb, 05:15, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry) wrote: >

I see your point, but not even my wife would use a rubber hammer to break up asphalt!

Reply to
Larry

When gluing up panels, there is no need for the biscuit, strength wise. In this situation, I don't glue them either. Try making a T joint with plywood though, and things are different. Even if the glue is stronger than the wood, the wood that you are gluing to is only 1/64" thick (the outer ply). In this case, glue the biscuit, it needs it.

Reply to
CW

Yeah, if I'm doing a benchtop or something from narrow stock I just use dry bisquits as locating mechanism also. But for mdf joinery or t-joints I sure do put glue on them. I often use bisquits in situations where they are the crucial long-grain surface in a cross-grain joint.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Does she give lessons? I'd like to send my wife, and my mother, over ...

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Reply to