2 questions: Biscuit Joiner and zTradingpost

I'm thinking of getting a biscuit joiner. Now, considering I do mostly "small" projects, that is smaller pieces of wood, what would people recommend?

Also, from time to time I see good deals on tools at zTrading post. Has anybody ever bought anything there and what was your experience?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

What would you use the biscuit joiner for in making small projects? Is there a particular task that not having a biscuit joiner is stopping you?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I want to attach some legs to a small box. 1/2" curly and 3/4" tapered bubinga legs. I'm joining the four sides via the legs. This is sort of what it would look like:

jtpr

I think that small boxes are great projects and make perfect gifts. They are also great to start in woodworking. They use all of the same techniques are larger projects but save in time and materials.

Have you ever done any tenons or used dowels? I find very little use for a biscuit joiner. Some say it ads strength to a joint, other claim it aids in alignment, I find neither. If you do decide to purchase a biscuit jointer make sure that is designed to cut the mini-biscuits. With work that small you can't use the "normal" sized biscuits.

Reply to
Frank Drackman