Biscuit joining expectations

Page 3 of 3

I'll save you a lot of time, Bruce. I tried it and it is a PITA and does not spread the glue all that well. Use an acid brush and be done with it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

About to glue up a 500 biscuit project so any glue aid would be nice. What is an acid brush? And how does it help with biscuit glueing? Thanks.

http://www.freemansupply.com/AcidBrush.htm
About to glue up a 500 biscuit project so any glue aid would be nice. What is an acid brush? And how does it help with biscuit glueing? Thanks. ">
biscuit joining http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive98/5_28ringpj1.html acid brushes http://www.weilercorp.com/pg137.htm Veritas's acid brushes http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p 098&cat=1,190,43034 and many others have them also.
They are (very) cheap, small, disposable brushes. A small, shaped piece of thin wood will also work, but a brush is a bit easier. GerryG

I've never tried this, but it might be worth testing one of those bbq sauce squeeze bottles with the brush on the end.. 500 biscuits is a LOT of gluing...
when you're doing that many, cleanup of an applicator isn't that big of a deal... I wouldn't try it for a 10 or 12 biscuit project...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:27:57 -0700, Treetops wrote

Others have already shown you what they are but if you use a lot of them the set of 50 sold by Harbor Freight when on sale are a good buy (something like $1.99/50)
I recommend either clipping the bristles to about 1/2" long or wrapping a piece of tape around the base o the bristles to keep them from spreading out too much.
-Bruce
Thanks all for the brush info. As it turns out, I bought some of these brushes last week at local woodworkers store. They were labeled "disposable" not "acid" but being next to other biscuit stuff figured they might be good for glueing. Now I know for sure as the good people at the wreck have educated me!! Also bought a $5 biscuit glue dispenser. Will give it a try althought others in this thread didn't give it high marks. Bruce's suggestion of trimming these brushes to 1/2" sounds good; they don't seem stiff enough as is to keep shape very long. This project is still on the drawing board and involves 10 cabinet carcasses for my home entertainment room. Am a biscuit newbie so reading up a lot on the subject. But spring is almost in the air so this "winter" project may wait till next year.

Bruce, I've tried those biscuit glue applicators. Here I have to agree with Ed's posted response. to wit: they are a PITA. Also as he noted, I went back to a brush. On end-grain, dissecting the joint won't show anything really. Yes, it would be weaker, but still fairly strong. And that, of course, is a relative term. Where you really need strength I've also use lap and bridle joints, as they support shearing torque, where a biscuit fairs poorly. As to the biscuit pulling loose due to end grain, I don't think it would happen very easily. GerryG

I *always* glue both the slot and the biscuit. occasionally I'll have to tap a biscuit into place.
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:42:59 GMT, "Jim Bailey"
going to make a fool of myself again, but answering on the way out to the shop without reading other replies:
Check the depth of cut.. sounds too deep... Most B-joiners have instructions for initial setup/adjustment.. quick guess would be depth, since you used a #20 and therefor aren't cutting a $10 hole for a #0 biscuit