Biscuit Question

I just bought a PC555 at an auction. It came with a bunch of #10 biscuits, and I have been playing with it.

Presumably the cut depth should be set so that the two pieces just come together with the biscuit inserted. Yes? Even then, there is an awful lot of play; the biscuit moves around pretty freely. I know it is supposed to swell with the glue, but it just seems too loose. Is that normal, am I doing something wrong, or is my jointer or biscuits off?

I didn't notice that there was no dust port. Any suggestions for minimizing the mess? (I guess I got what I paid for...)

thanks

Reply to
Toller

adjust the depth of cut so that there is a bit of clearance behind the biscuit.

Reply to
nospam

They should slide in without any play they will vary depending on many things, biscuit subject too humidity will make them tight, not hold the biscuit cutter tight will give a wide cut and the fence not parallel to the cutter will make the slot large also. Set the depth of the slot a little deeper than the biscuit Woodworking is messy get used to it.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

When joining 2 pieces with a biscuit or with dowels or with any form or joinery the matting pieces must fit tight, of course. Your biscuit must not restrict a tight fit so your depth of cut must be sufficient for the biscuit to lay in the wood and yet the joint must close perfectly tight.

The reason for all that side play in a biscuit slot is for ease of joining the matting pieces... dowels, by comparison, are a tight fit during the process of lining up the dowel pins with the holes... this is alleviated with biscuits because you have some side to side play in the biscuits slot.

Sawdust is the by-product of cutting wood with any tool that doesn't have a means of catching it in a bag... plate joiners, routers, finish sanders and the like all cast sawdust... sawdust, to a woodworker, is manna from heaven.

Reply to
oakman

That's OK You need room for the biscuits to swell and for the glue.

It's a biscuit joiner. Jointers do something else.

Cut them outside.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

What you do is after you made the slot cut, insert the biscuit, using a fine pencil, draw the line, then turn the biscuit around, draw the line again (on the same side), then pull it out and measure the line. It should have

1/16"th space. Do you know what is being asked you to do? That is for #20 biscuits, with that, the #10 should follow falling into correct settings. Also, you may want to look at it and see if the bits are sharp, if not, it may not be cut correctly. Check if there is a play (first, unplug the cord, then pull the body in and move the blade sideways), if there's a play, then something need to be tighten.

It is called a PLATE JOINER. A commonly error name is "biscuit cutter." A jointer and plate joiner are two different category.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

PC has different settings for the different biscuits (20/10/0) but made need adjusting (do the pencil trick as said previously). That takes care of the side to side play. Up/down may be a function of your biscuits. I stick to PC brand.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Since we're extra anal this morning, I'll point out the following:

I think one manufacturer, possibly Freud, copyrighted "Biscuit Joiner", so most everyone else uses "Plate Joiner".

Either is "correct".

Examples: Biscuit Joiner:

Plate Joiner:

They look like they do the same thing to me.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Which way ? The biscuit should be a tight fit (narrow thickness) but should slide along its long axis quite some distance. A biscuit only locates in one axis (thickness), should have barely adequate depth (short width), and is deliberately flexible with the long axis, to ease assembly.

If you're sawing an over-width slot, then check for a damaged or bent sawblade (cheaply replaceable) or (sadly more common) worn out bearings on the machine. Failed bearings are usually a scrapper, depending on the ease of dismantling and maker's spares position. Bearings are just a standard item from any bearing dealer, but you may have lost the arbor too.

Andy Dingley