????????---Bill

Dec.--29- 18 wheeler delivered DP JAN--6-- he said he wished he had a DP to drill 1/8 inch holes ? Did I miss something ?????

Jr

Jerry - OHIO

I thought it was a humorous dilemma. I wish to drill 1/8" holes through my 1/2" diameter lugs (to help turn them) which are going to hold up my DP base board--yet I have to build my DP base board before I can assemble the DP on top of it (240#). Don't get me wrong, it's a good dilemma to have. It just amused me. I'll get on it tomorrow, I've been working on work-related stuff today. I also needed to get my baseboard design approved by OSHA first (j/k), and it's da$n cold outside! I hate the reputation I'm getting for being a slacker...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Assemble the drill press on a stack of plywood or 2xwhatevers about the same height as your base will be, then walk it onto the base or roll it on some pipe sections when the base is done. Long as you don't tilt it too far you should be fine.

By the way, you might want to risk 5 bucks on the ebook version of "How to Lift and Move Almost Anything" .

Reply to
J. Clarke

Even if assembled on the floor, it's no big deal to rock the DP far enough to get wedges underneath. That's how I got my Unisaw off its skid and onto the mobile stand.

It might even be easier to assemble the DP in its final location then slide the platform under, later.

Looks interesting. What's the difference between "heavy and bulky", and "massive"? ;-)

Reply to
krw

"J. Clarke" wrote

I had a job about a year ago that involved moving a big room of gym equipment around. It was the heavy stuff too. My help did not show up. But there were some crow bars and long bars there. And some closet rod.

So I cut up the closet rod to make rollers. I used the crowbars and bigger bars to lift the equipment. I used blocks of wood to work the rollers underneath. I pushed everything around. When I got the stuff off the rollers, I used the bars to lever everything into place. It took some time, but I got it all done I was sore the next day though.

Soooo, levers and rollers can move some big stuff if necessary.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Not as easy as screwing the base to the baseboard first. Bear in mind I have to drill it and install bolts too. Not hard, but should be "easy as pie" that way...haven't used that expression in a while.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'd gladly give you 10 bucks and a nice dinner just to help me lift the head of my DP on its pole! Is that in the book? :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

About 30 years ago I put my drill head om the pole by myself. Hoping my nuts will heal shortly...

Reply to
Nova

I'll regard that as a sensible warning. I don't think its weight troubles me as much as its unwieldiness...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You don't have a hand drill and a set of wrenches?

Reply to
krw

Hmm, that's the part I'm wondering about too. I plan on buying the same DP in a little while. Let me know how you manage it. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Lay the drill press head at one end of your long workbench, then assemble the post into it while it is laying on its side. Fasten together, attach the base to then post bottom, then slide off the bench, tilting it up as you go.

Reply to
Larry W

How can you not have that thing together yet ??? When I buy a new toy I have it plugged in before it's out of the box. Back when my wife bought me a 10" bench top saw for x-mass I had it on the kitchen table running popsicle sticks through it !!!

Jr

Jerry - OHIO

I mounted the head for my Delta 17-900 on the shaft while both were horizontal on the ground, then lifted it to vertical.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Google "machine skates" for more info. If you can do metalworking, weld up some with skateboard bearings for a fifth the price.

-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lay the pieces on low wooden platforms, assemble on the floor, and lift to height with you cherry picker.

-- You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness.? -- Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You need to build an A frame on rollers with a 220 volt crane !!

Jr

Jerry - OHIO

Did you put HVAC in your shop??? Just thinking about how hot it will be in two months. Oh yes, you'll need a log splitter also for that log business. JR

Jerry - OHIO

I try to balance work and play, and have to deal with with weather and space/room (I regret I don't have a 3-car garage like some people :)). I promise I'm working on getting the DP together. And the DP baseboard won't be anything I will have to be ashamed of either! I'll pick up some 3/8" threaded inserts today.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Jerry, When I opened my DeWalt drill (DWD215G), which my in-laws somehow knew I wanted, I had it screaming in minutes too. This is a little different--I was only able to open the box and read the owners manual for the DP on day 1.

As a concrete sign of my appreciation for your encouragement, however, I just risked life and property driving through a few inches of fresh snow to pick up some 3/8" T-nuts. Of course, there was no sign of concrete. ;)

These T-nuts are afixed with 3 screws (#6 fits, not #8--maybe metric?). Measuring them, it looks like they would fit in a hole quite a bit smaller in diameter than 1/2", as I was advised (I might even be able to tap one into a 3/8" hole). I am ashamed of the awfully short 3/4" screws I too-quickly accepted from the clerk, so I plan to make a trip back for longer ones.

It feels good to accumulate the materials, as it is progress. I got out my sawhorses yesterday (yet, I currently have a "bare-bones" operation). It also felt good to support my local True Value hardware (to show a little support, I picked-up a few other things too to help make it worth their while). I agree with Mike that the 3/8" carriage bolts appear pretty stout. I need to psyche myself up for some shoveling today.

Bill

Reply to
Bill