Best WoodDorking Music

[snip]

Perhaps in a similar vein, I was exposed one April morning to The King's College Choir practicing. The windows of the chapel at Cambridge University were open and the voices floated across the lawn on that unusually warm morning. It was as eery as it was fantastic. I was spell-bound.

Reply to
Robatoy

Sheez. Am I the only one that thinks the best music is NO music?

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
B A R R Y

Hayseed Dixie, "Kiss My Grass."

Reply to
Father Haskell

I like to crank Me First and the Gimme Gimmes when I'm doing fine detail work. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I have a copy of English Ladymass. Great.

Reply to
jo4hn

I do like King's College stuff. Try also Concordia College (Minnesota) or Augustana choirs. Them Lutherans do sing good. Concordia does a good job with "Salvation is Created" (Tchesnokov (sp)). Joy. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn wrote in news:12ujb58a9uqu8b5 @news.supernews.com:

A high point of our Christmas season is singing in a chorus of may 125-150 voices, singing Handel's Messiah, with an orchestra of maybe 60 players. We're on our 14th year, but this group has been going on for about 35 seasons.

It's nice to have a change of pace.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

RE: Subject

Silence is sublime.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes, many years ago when I was a sprout and attending a fund raiser. I heard, IIRC, The USMC Jazz band.

Da Missus and I are keeping an eye out for something we might like to take others to. VERY few of our associates & friends have ever attended such an event so it can be hard to put a decent foursome together because so many of them are flat-out-reluctant to go.

Every summer Schoolcraft Community College hosts a FREE jazzfest with maybe 3-4 concurrent performances all day long with everything from avant guard to big-band jazz. They feature perhaps 30 different groups over the course of the day with a couple at a time in tents and a couple indoors.

A number of those appearing are familiar recording artists ... so it's a good day of music.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

John Lennon, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

Garth Brooks, Belleau Wood

ZZ Top, Woke up with wood :-)

Otis Redding, Knock on wood.

Van Morrison, Choppin' Wood

Jethro Tull, Songs From The Wood

Reply to
Vince Heuring

Here's the guy from DSO I saw in Hartford:

That man LET IT RIP!!!

GREAT!!

Screw the blue hairs...

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

You sing in it?

I know from experience that being in the midst of something like that is fan-freakintastic!

Excellent!

Reply to
B A R R Y

There is a Methodist church in the town where I used to live that did the Messiah every year. Recruited singers from churches and choral groups. Just plain wonderful experience. sigh, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

B A R R Y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

First tenor. With one of my sons also a tenor, another a baritone, wife and a daughter-in-law in the soprano section, and another son playing lead bassoon. It's really very special. Three performances a season, after two months of Sunday evening practices.

It's not at all like singing in the church choir. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I totally understand!