Best way to paint veneer covered particle board furniture (fish tank stand)?

I have a fish tank stand that's made of particle board, covered with veneer to make it look like it's real wood. This veneer isn't waterproof at all, so I'm hoping to water proof it, as well as change the color. What would be the best way to approach this?

I'm thinking I first have to give it a good sanding to rough up the veneer real good. Then I was thinking of spraying on two coats of oil based flat black paint, followed by two coats of oil based urethane from a spray can. Is there a better way of approaching this? Thanks, Harry

Reply to
fake.e-mail

You don't need to rough up the veneer. Unless it's dirty or has had a lot of hand traffic a light scuff sanding will do. Follow this with a good oil-based interior/exterior primer. This will let you topcoat with either oil or latex-based paint and clearcoats. You can use latex bathroom paint that is reasonably water resistant as well as being washable. A clearcoat may not be necessary unless you expect a lot of exposure to water.

Reply to
mp

clearcoat

Is spraying on the primer, paint, and possible clear coat OK? Or should I go the brush way?

Spraying just seems so much easier and faster, no cutting in, no messy brushes to clean, etc.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
fake.e-mail