Nailer question

It will operate the gun - most framers use 90-120 psi. The tank capacity on the pancakes I've used (stanley bostich) are undersize for sheathing ond other repetative bump-fire jobs. If you don't mind waiting for the compressor to catch up once in awhile, it should serve ok.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

newbie question

If I get the porter cable finish nailer combo with the 135 psi 2hp 6 gallon pancake style compressor, will this compressor have enough power to run a framing nailer.

Reply to
jack

Absolutely. These small compressors are pretty much meant to be used with any nail gun in general.

Reply to
Leon

Yes - That is precisely what these smaller compressors are meant to do. They are great at being light, portable and providing the small amount of air at operating pressure to feed nailers. They are also good a blowing sawdust and debris from your work surface. You just cannot expect them to provide air to continuous demand such as sanders, chisels, sprayers, etc.

Reply to
RonB

Absolutely,

Comments about catching up apply to pros who fire these babies in semi-automatic fasion. I built a 1600 sf addition and was still a bit tentative with the framing nailer. There's is a reason why they call them "guns".

I think I used ring-shank 8's for sheathing. I could fire those pretty quickly, but it's not like you are likely to toe-nail studs rapid-fire.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

It'll be fine for homeowner use. If you're planning to use it every day, all day long, you'll be likely burn it out in a few months and would be better off looking for a slightly larger-capacity oil-lubed unit.

If you plan on using the PC compressor indoors be warned you and anyone near the it will need ear protection.

Reply to
mp

The compressor should work just fine. Most framers take 70-100 psi. If the material you are using can be nailed at 75-80 psi reliably, then go with the lower pressure. The compressor will run a bit less frequently and it's easier on the framing gun as well. If the compressor kicks in at 100-110 psi, then a 2 hp unit should be able to bring the tank back up to 135 psi before the delivered pressure drops to 80 psi. Results - no loss of power to the nailer at 80 psi.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

You've gotten several Yes answers, but I'll say that I've run my PC FR350 framing nailer off that same compressor. Albeit not to frame a house.

Reply to
patrick conroy