Best way to attach felt

I have some holes in this wood project I'm doing and I'm wanting to line them with felt. Can't easily spray an adhesive in there and adhesive backed felt is too hard to manuever down into the holes. I was thinking of thinly spreading glue around in the holes, but I'm afraid it would soak into the felt to much and make it hard. Anyone know of a good adhesive for this purpose? Thanks.

Reply to
Paul

I have generally used a contact cement, such as Pliobond for cementing felt of fabrics, etc. It is a "rubber" cement, so stays flexible when it dries. Perhaps silicon rubber caulk would work, but I don't think that would give as good a bond.

You can easily use the brush on the cap. I'd just put it on one surface wet, and press the felt into that. Try a scrap first, of course.

/paul

Reply to
professorpaul

Line the holes with felt? Or do you mean line the side(s) of a cylinder? Or put felt only at the bottom of the hole? A spray adhesive, with a straw-tube (like the tube WD-40 has) might work.

How thick of felt? Felt on a pool table is as thin as upholstery fabric, but felt for upper padding of coil springs (upholstered chair seats, etc.) is 1/4" thick. How thick of felt are you wanting to apply? I assume the felt is thin, like pool table felt. I know of spray adhesive for upholstery applications. Maybe a local pool table shop (repair shop) might have some good ideas for thin felt.

For the bottom of the hole, maybe the felt pads for furniture leg/ feet, with the peel and stick adhesive, will help. Wal-Mart or any similar outlet has these peel and stick felt pads.

For inserting felt into a glue lined hole, wrap the felt around an appropriate sized dowel rod and jam it in.

If you are wanting to line a hole for tool rests or some similar object that needs to rest in a cushioned/lined hole, maybe your best bet is to cut through the holes/cylinders, ie., 2 halves, line the halves with felt, then re-attach the halves to make the whole "holding unit".

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

heard of flocking! Thanks for the link..... phil k. :>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Jewelcome. I think Lee Valley used to sell kits a few years back, too. (I either saw kits there or at Rockler or Woodcraft, one of the cataloggers.)

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques