best things found in trash

Page 1 of 2
In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded the pickup full. I picked up a 8 ft piece of a new laminate countertop, no holes cut in it, has the backsplace and rolled edges. (must have been cut wrong or wrong color), a old oak 6 drawer dresser, fixed a few drawers and touched up the finish and gave it to my daughter. A couple of exterior steel entry doors with the double insulated glass panels, not sure how many gallons and quart cans of name brand paints. Most of them half full or more. Also several sheets of treated latice. As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.
--

Mike S.
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

That's my kind of event!!! I'd be like the sow that found the door to the corn crib open.
Larry

CLIP
You should check out the newsgroup alt.dumpster. It's kind of spam filled, but there are dedicated curbside recyclers there like none you've ever met. Some great ideas and tips on where and how to find stuff as well as legal perspective.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

also see http://dumpsterworld.com/
You could also try freecycling. Where people give away stuff by leaving a message on a website dedicated to your area. I've got mountains of timber that way.
http://www.freecycle.org /

WARNING! WARNING! DING! DING! ALARM! ALARM!!!!
Addictive group. Once you start reading, you find you have "needs" for things you really don't necessarily have room for.
...I participate in a few local freecycle groups and try to give stuff away but find myself picking stuff up from time to time too...
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
V8013
My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

You know it, Joe!!! All this dumpster talk ...and I had to get my dd fix. Went by some of my favorite dumpsters and picked up a large piece of 14 gauge sheet, some square thinwall and 5 nice drawers from a bureau beside a Salvation Army dumpster. I had to leave the bureau because I already had a full load and it needed a little more than TLC to get it back in shape. I'm making a return visit to that dumpster where I picked up the steel to pick up some wire merchandise display baskets and some more of that thinwall.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/dumpster-saturday1big.jpg
These drawers, notice, have machine cut dovetails front and back and the sides look rather exotic. The brass hardware pulls look useful.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/dumpster-saturday2big.jpg
Larry
Snip

Why would these drawers have dovetails at the backs of the drawers, particularly oriented to keep the sides pulling away from the back, rather than the other way around? Is this common? If so, why? Is it just to add, um, cachet to a piece of furniture?
The reason I ask is that a friend called me yesterday and asked how to repair a drawer with (apparently) similar construction. It's hard to tell this sort of thing over the phone. I guess the drawer had dovetails at the back of the drawer, and a rabbet joint glued and stapled at the front. Obviously not high-quality stuff. Why put the expensive (and good) joint at the back of the drawer? Thanks.
-Phil Crow

Sorry Phil it took so long to get back to you. I made about 20 dt drawers for my kitchen and bath and I put half blind dts on the back and rabbeted on the fronts. Once you have your jig set up it takes only minutes to do all four sides of the drawer. I never considered that the dt on the back to be more expensive in $$$ or time. If you look at some good, antique drawers you'll find dt's on the back... FWIW I saw some on some furniture at the Chicago Art Museum...boy!! did I get yelled at by the guard when she found me pulling out the drawers.
Larry

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY) though. Damn!
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

Federal law states that it cannot be illegal in a certain small town or city if the trash is placed at the curb. There are a few cases where federal law enforcement took the trash of a homeowner to search for evidence and the homeowner claimed it was still their property until the garbage man showed up. They lost.
If police can take it as discarded material without a warrant, it is public domain so says the court ruling. Of course, you'd have to fight your Rochester-based ticket in court to prove that...
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
V8013
My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

will stop & ticket you during the Spring/Fall cleanup.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

wow.. we encourage "junque-a-teers" here... I'd rather my stuff got reused or sold for scrap then have it in the landfill... we have convoys of folks going by all day... some just for metal, some for appliances, most just for "collectibles"...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
BUT ... is it illegal in the 'burbs surrounding Rochester? My FIL harvests the curbs around Henrietta and Greece on a regular basis.
Rick

I almost forgot the Nordic Track, but that needed a $5 bearing replaced.

Aw. Just leave an anonymous note where the stuff was, saying you didn't realize its frowned upon and you will say a few words of penance. Something like that-
From what Nahmie said, it may be a local ordinance kind of thing. Not really sure. Aw, grab it while you can!!! That law makes no sense to me.
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

because our local landfill will NOT allow you to take anything. Something to do with liability. SIL wanted a nice Stainless Steel playground slide that was @ the landfill metal bin, they wouldn't let him have it.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:24:19 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Your sister-in-law is a him?
Oh. Sorry. Figured it out. Must be the other sites I visit...
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net