Trash or Treasure ?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Trasure with A LOT of work.

Do you know needle point?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Looks like a good old chair, to me. If someone wanted to take a night-school course or a seminar or two - this would make a a nice piece to learn on. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'd think the gnaw marks on the arm would put it in the shabby chic category after the fabric is replaced with better old fabric....

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Bob, is that chair available to you? Left front of the arm needs wood rep air. Springs are probably good, but all the internal padding, burlap, jut e webbing will likely need to be replaced. I'm sure there's lots of old d ust inside... need to be blow out. Not a difficult job, reupholstering, ev en if you've never reupholstered a chair. All the joints need to be check for looseness and repair if needed. Online coaching would help you reupho lster it, if you'd like to try your hand at it.

Kinna looks like an Eastlake chair, but doesn't have some of the more typic al Eastlake features, probably worth about $150-$200 if in good to excellen t shape. You might look on the inside seat frame, see if there are any ma ker's marks, etc., possibly to ID it.

I just finished reupholstering a damaged turn-of-the-century chair, for a f riend, delivering it this evening.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Potentially, treasure (it's a handsome enough design). I'd pass on it, though, because it has those little wheels that always squeak...

Reply to
whit3rd

your choice

Reply to
Electric Comet

"Bob La Londe" on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 10:35:07 -0700 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes.

Reminds me of a chair in my shoe. Not in good enough shape for the house, too good to throw away.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

There are a few challenges to fix it and upholster it, for the DIYer uphols terer/novice woodworker. If you have a little time, it's a good project t o practice on, a learning project. With modest work a few hours a day, a few times a week, it can probably be repaired in a week's time, maybe a we ek and a half, with decent results.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Trash or Treasure ?

Well, when I was carrying it out to the shop I tripped and the chair accidentally got dropped.... into the dumpster. I decided I have to many projects in the shop already that have a much higher priority for me. In my lifetime I'll never get them all done.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You know, I think that takes more for some people than others realize. I fe el like if I know I can fix it, now I can turn out good project, then I fee l like it's our responsibility not to throw away something like that chair.

But when do you get to those things? I don't know... I don't seem to have t he time to do the things I need to do these days, much less take on new pro jects. I don't need to take on the time, effort, and expense of doing somet hing like that chair just to have another piece of furniture to sit in my h ouse. A piece that matches nothing, might not be that comfortable to sit in , and if I really like the whole Style in the sign of the thing I could pro bably buy as pointed out here for about a hundred and a half.

I find myself more and more these days simply turning away from projects th at used to interest me since I don't seem to finish the ones set aside year s ago.

So seriously, good for you!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Around here, there are some other options - for "junk" - before it adds to the landfill : : thrift stores : Habitat For Humanity Re-Store : online classifieds "Free Stuff" < or similar on FaceBook >

I prefer to see something like that old chair go to someone who wants to spruce it up - if not actually a treasure - then maybe a funky piece for the cottage .. I've seen people leave stuff by the road for Free and someone usually stops .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Heartily second the ReStore option! Others include groups such as the Gleaners:

and FreeCycle: https://
which has the advantage that the rercipient comes and picks up the "treasure" you give away.

Cheers, Colin

Reply to
Colin Campbell

I never think to give things to those "recycle" places. Your and Colin's suggestions are perfect, always good to be reminded of such. Thanks.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

On 6/9/2018 6:07 PM, Sonny wrote: > On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 12:38:54 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote: > >> : thrift stores >> : Habitat For Humanity Re-Store >> : online classifieds "Free Stuff" < or similar on FaceBook > >>

>> I prefer to see something like that old chair go to someone >> who wants to spruce it up - if not actually a treasure - >> then maybe a funky piece for the cottage .. >> I've seen people leave stuff by the road for Free >> and someone usually stops .. >> John T. > > I never think to give things to those "recycle" places. Your and Colin's suggestions are perfect, always good to be reminded of such. Thanks. > > Sonny >

My issue with giving stuff away is not the people who truly want it, but wading through the opportunistic mercenaries who then show up and start eyeballing your place to see what else they can convince you to give-a-way or sell for 1¢ on the $100. Absolutely pisses me off to give something away and then see it on Craiglist or one of the Facebook exchanges the very same day for cash money. I don't care about the money. I get pissed about the opportunistic assholes who took the opportunity away from somebody who truly wanted it.

Next is that often the time spent giving something away is intrusive.

Some years ago I gave away a cheap radial arm saw. It was one of my rare successes. I posted that it was totally free, but the person who would get it had to prove to me they wanted and were going to use it. Not just take it because it was free so they could flip it. One guy sent me a picture of his wife sawing trim boards with a miter box. A month later he sent me pictures of the new trim all through out his house. THAT'S the kind of person I want to give stuff to.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Find videos of "The Furniture Guys" PBS television program and watch them all. Well, you could probably skip the chaise longue parts to save your sanity...

Reply to
John McGaw

Needs Carving and just how old is it ? What designer name for it ? Looks like a barn storage of a 1940's chair.

It needs a good cleaning and down to wood to look. The cloth/padding / shape needs to be kept just in case they are needed (should be) at the department/company to make you something. (at what cost!).

If grand Dads - go for it.

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn