Best $35 gift for a woodworker?

What's the best $35 you ever spent on a new tool, book or other woodworking related item?
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

A Critter.
Sandor Whathiznameski's book on setting up a shop.
A dial indicator with mag base (Chiwanese kind).
Some Eye Talian needle files.
Pinch dogs.
Set of drill countersinks/drivers (not DeWalt).
A solid phenolic saw insert and enough 1/2" baltic birch to make a whole bunch more.
Most of the above are available from Lee Valley. In my catalog they all have a Post-It-Note marking their page.
UA100

You spell it just like you say it: Nagyszalanczy

Good to see I'm not the only one who does that. SWMBO usually gives me a gift certificate for xmas, and I've been known to go through the catalog and post-it all the little odds-and-ends that I thought about buying but never did during the past year.
Best $35 and under buys:
Veritas wheel marking gage (~$20)
Veritas dovetail markers (~$10.00/pair)
Veritas saddle square (~$10.00)
[So you can get all three above for a shade more than $40.) And my non-LV best value:
Starrett 4" sliding double square (OK, so that's about $40, but it's still cheap)
Chuck Vance
Best $39.99 (close enough?) purchase recently: Grizzly Dial Protractor. http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/misc13.html http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G9900
Brian.

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:57:44 -0800, "Brian" wrote:

Oooh - now that's pretty sweet. Thanks.
JP
a gallon of jonny walker red
-- mike hide

Shame on you, Michael.
(It should be Tullamore Dew.)
Mike Hide wrote:

Where?
I'm not sure a liter could be had for $35.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Mark wrote:

Feh. I missed the original post (damn news server) but I assume the subject pretty much says it all. For me, for $35, keep your booze. I don't drink much anyway, and it would take me 10 years to get through a gallon or a liter of whatever. Buy me a Lee Valley gift certificate.
Gift certificates are usually considered a thoughtless gift, but I've been trying hard to get everyone who barely knows me to buy me a Lee Valley gift certificate this year. So much better than putting on a fake smile.

Probably the DustFoe. And I bought it per recommendation here in the WRECK. No more of those stupid paper masks that don't work worth a damn. No more sneezing, coughing, nor allergic reactions from spending time in the dusty shop. Thanks guys!

LOL. I purchased the same mask (88) for the exact same reasons. I did a google search of the wreck and got it through Woodcraft. It's absolutely worth it. Ditto - thanks guys.
JP
The very best gift of all! http://secure.paynetsystems.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid 22061&showprevnext=1

Good idea. Fire extinguisher also. Ed

Just spent $35 on a molding cutterhead that I used in my table saw. I thought it worked great.
todd
Clamps. You can never have too many.
Jay

My Starrett 6" combo square was $40. It's the most used tool in my shop, always in the apron pocket.
Other really useful stuff under $35:
Leonard Lee's Sharpening Book The book: "Tune Up Your Tools" A Lee Valley saddle square A subscription to "Fine Woodworking"
Barry
Bought an older model "brand new" Makita jig saw at a Going out of business sale at a local hardware store. Cost me $36.00. The poor guy had been in business for over 40 years, but an orange disaster store opened a quarter mile from his front door.
Dave

dial indicator
dave