Belt Sander Belt Tape

Page 1 of 3

I picked up a large box of belts. They are new old stock. The belt abrasive and fabric are fine. When you run a belt it snaps apart at the taped joint after a few pressured revolutions.
The clear tape simply lets loose. We tried using standard plastic packing tape which is pretty strong stuff but that experiment did not test out. Just for the sake of having it handy, Gorilla duct tape went on and failed next.
Does anyone have a suggested tape or other fix so these belts are usable?
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Which is why you got them cheap. You did get them cheap, right? ;-)

Look for something using Heat and Pressure. Something you could use a household iron on. Google 'heat seal tape'

LD:
Oh yeah. "If you want it, take it" was the guff I had to listen to. I even was forced to lug the carton away.
I thought there might be heat involved in the fabrication process and thank you for further disposing the notion to action. I'll see what comes up.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On 7/15/2010 12:09 AM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

There's a special tape used. <http://www.adktapes.com/products.html Probably end up costing more than it's worth to fix your belts.

JC:
Thanks for the site, which I checked. Although no prices were disclosed, I'm not betting against your probability. What is the storage life on taped abrasive belts?
Klingspor has been cited in the past as a good bonded abrasive source. Does anyone have further ideas on any initial customer qualifications and comparable quality? We could consolidate a good order especially if they offer diamond abrasives for stone work.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

--------------------------------------
Pearl Abrasives comes in from Canada with a major distribution center here in SoCal
Have used Klingspor for sheet goods and Pearl for belts and heavy duty discs for several years.
The Pearl came thru a local retail hardware at competitive prices if purchased in quantity.
Klingspor was direct, again in quantity.
Lew

LH:
Thank you for the pointers.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

If you have to ask ....
Edward Hennessey wrote:

I have had the conversation w/ Klingspor engineering on the issue. I'll try to dig out the correspondence if I get a moment and post same. Was interesting insight.
They don't (because their supplier doesn't) warrant the adhesive for over a year and had no retail supply for replacement. My experience is in cool storage they'll last longer than that reliably but not indefinitely as the posting shows.
Despite that disappointment I still think the Klingspor is as good a value as there is for individuals and small production folks that I'm aware of you just have to be aware of how long you'll take to use up inventory and plan purchasing in accordance. In my case I went from active moderately high volume usage to just the occasional personal use after the move and it was several years.

dpb:
Good considerations to keep in mind. If you bump into the Klingspor correspondence, I'm sure we'll all be ears.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
They do have a web site - all sorts of things there.
IIRC, they are the importer from a major German source. Might be independent now. I've used them for so many years that when I call about being a club member and give a card number I get a Huh ?
They went into N.Carolina as that was a massive (for years) furniture site.
Now they work the US looking for US :-)
I like the sample box of strip material. I buy the fine.
They make custom and standard sizes. I buy 1" and many other sizes of belts.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 7/16/2010 12:17 AM, Edward Hennessey wrote:

"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

------------------------------- The first thing to fail on a sanding belt is the tape joint.
Hope they paid you well to haul away and dispose of their junk.
Lew

He can always cut them up. Maybe even use them with a palm sander. I could probably use them with my B&D ... if the price was right.
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:45:15 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

I never understood that. Why would anyone want to sand their palm?
--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

Yeah, I'd rather have mine greased.

Smooth out the calluses from the heavy lifting I do. P)
I always found the edges began to tear with usage, other than the usual grit weardown.
The first thing to fail on a sanding belt is the tape joint.
Hope they paid you well to haul away and dispose of their junk.
Lew
"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

"Edward Hennessey" wrote

The following might, or might not, be useful - http://tinyurl.com/25y9vpp
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

JG:
Good link. I've saved the information from the page. Thanks.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey