Belt Sander Belt Tape

I picked up a large box of belts. They are new old stock. The belt abrasive and fabric are fine. When you run a belt it snaps apart at the taped joint after a few pressured revolutions.

The clear tape simply lets loose. We tried using standard plastic packing tape which is pretty strong stuff but that experiment did not test out. Just for the sake of having it handy, Gorilla duct tape went on and failed next.

Does anyone have a suggested tape or other fix so these belts are usable?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Which is why you got them cheap. You did get them cheap, right? ;-)

Look for something using Heat and Pressure. Something you could use a household iron on. Google 'heat seal tape'

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

LD:

Oh yeah. "If you want it, take it" was the guff I had to listen to. I even was forced to lug the carton away.

I thought there might be heat involved in the fabrication process and thank you for further disposing the notion to action. I'll see what comes up.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

There's a special tape used. Probably end up costing more than it's worth to fix your belts.

Reply to
J. Clarke

------------------------------- The first thing to fail on a sanding belt is the tape joint.

Hope they paid you well to haul away and dispose of their junk.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

JC:

Thanks for the site, which I checked. Although no prices were disclosed, I'm not betting against your probability. What is the storage life on taped abrasive belts?

Klingspor has been cited in the past as a good bonded abrasive source. Does anyone have further ideas on any initial customer qualifications and comparable quality? We could consolidate a good order especially if they offer diamond abrasives for stone work.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

--------------------------------------

Pearl Abrasives comes in from Canada with a major distribution center here in SoCal

Have used Klingspor for sheet goods and Pearl for belts and heavy duty discs for several years.

The Pearl came thru a local retail hardware at competitive prices if purchased in quantity.

Klingspor was direct, again in quantity.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you have to ask ....

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

He can always cut them up. Maybe even use them with a palm sander. I could probably use them with my B&D ... if the price was right.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"Edward Hennessey" wrote

The following might, or might not, be useful -

Jeff Gorman

I've had the same problem for years when using old sanding belts, and even on my wide-belt sander. Old belts just blow apart. I got a bunch of new sanding belts with my Time Savers that were made in "West Germany"... date that! Needless to say, they all blew apart. Cut up, I still use pieces for hand sanding.

I faintly recall a special process for sticking these together, but my old mind is really weak. I tried to find it tonight but only found one useful link:

don't use a belt sander much anymore, but I use new belts from the wholesaler when I do.

best wishes, woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff

Slice them up, use them by hand or on palm sanders.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Are those belts not glued together by a long angular joint that encompasses the whole belt circumference?

This would make the belt pretty hard to tape together. Some sort of adhesive would be in order.

It could be very hard to get the belts to track properly after repair.

The clear tape simply lets loose. We tried using standard plastic packing tape which is pretty strong stuff but that experiment did not test out. Just for the sake of having it handy, Gorilla duct tape went on and failed next.

Does anyone have a suggested tape or other fix so these belts are usable?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Josepi

I always found the edges began to tear with usage, other than the usual grit weardown.

Hope they paid you well to haul away and dispose of their junk.

Lew

"Edward Hennessey" wrote:

-------------------------------

Reply to
Josepi

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

Super glue works perfectly. I just fixed two belts 6x48" of my own, one broke again, but it had a defect that made it break to begin with. The other one has been working for about 2 weeks now. I initially glued the sucker for quick use until I could get some new belts, damn thing still working great. Don't skimp on the glue. Pretty sure I used super glue gel.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Germany"... date

My 6x48" sanding belts are old, really, really old, like 20 years or more. They have held up well but when they fail, it of course is along the glue line. If they just blow apart due to glue failure, the fix is simple.

I did no research, but had some super glue gel laying around. I spread the glue on the seam, put a paper towel under the belt to stop gluing the belt to itself, and pressed the seam together with a strip of wood. This glue dries in 10 seconds so clamps are not even needed. The seam is a 1/4" lap joint on these belts. I think they are originally glued with a similar glue. I initially was afraid the glue would be too brittle, but so far, so good.

Reply to
Jack Stein

My belts have a long angular joint across the width of the belt.

The joint is a half lap joint. As long as the break is clean, it is simple to line it up perfectly, it's really automatic since it's a half lap joint. Tape, hot melt glue would not work. Super glue gel works great, and is simple since the glue dries in seconds, and is thin enough that the seam is not raised, and is just as flat as it was at the factory.

I just did this two weeks ago, and after several uses it's holding up fine. Can't say it will hold up forever or not, but I can say, for certain, it will hold up for two weeks and about an hour of sanding...

Saved me an emergency trip to Granger and it took almost zero effort to fix.

Tracking was not an issue, since the joints line up perfectly with little fuss. A bump at the seam is no problem since super glue is thin, even the gel type. Hot melt and tape I would think would fail to work at all.

Reply to
Jack Stein

At the risk of repeating advice given by others... Due to my lack of reading ALL the posts... How about fiberglass reinforced tape?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I have had the conversation w/ Klingspor engineering on the issue. I'll try to dig out the correspondence if I get a moment and post same. Was interesting insight.

They don't (because their supplier doesn't) warrant the adhesive for over a year and had no retail supply for replacement. My experience is in cool storage they'll last longer than that reliably but not indefinitely as the posting shows.

Despite that disappointment I still think the Klingspor is as good a value as there is for individuals and small production folks that I'm aware of you just have to be aware of how long you'll take to use up inventory and plan purchasing in accordance. In my case I went from active moderately high volume usage to just the occasional personal use after the move and it was several years.

--

Reply to
dpb