Belt Sander Belt Tape

These belts butt up with the tape overlapping that line.

We use some large, stationary Somaca belt sanders as well and it would be interesting to see if some of this belt material could be cut for use on smaller machines. The notion that it might be possible to fabricate belts from new roll stock also poses possibilities; hopefully, some of them might deal with saving money.

As to your second paragraph, my head is a little hard. Does "grinding off the grid" mean you are grinding each end of the cut roll for a half lap joint? What kind of glue was successful for you?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Grid is my mistyping of grit. That was over 50 years ago but I believe we only ground one end. As I said, we used Elmer's glue. Yellow wood glue would probably work the same.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

You would think so, but so far, so good. I did the repair over 2 weeks ago and I've been sanding with it ever since. Yesterday I sanded a box I made with box joints. I always make them a little proud and sand the shit out of them. This is one of the harder tasks for my sander and if the joint is going to break, this will do it. Held up perfectly.

My belts are all 20 years old. They are working fine and are just now beginning to break prematurely, thus, the reason I tried the super glue. I can't say they will hold up forever since forever hasn't arrived, but I can tell you for sure the super glue has far exceeded my expectations and it has held up for over 2 weeks.

Reply to
Jack Stein

The glue I used was DURO QUICK GEL. I normally use it for gluing leather cue tips to my pool cue. It's made my Locktite I believe and is sold at Kmart, or used to be. The stuff dries in 10 seconds under pressure, so clamping is not even needed. I pressed it firmly with a hunk of wood across the joint and a paper towel under the joint. No glue seeped out the top, but some did get on the paper towel, so I was glad I took that precaution. I made sure I covered the entire joint generously as some glue soaks into the cloth.

About my only concern now is will the glue get too brittle? It's been over two weeks, and the glue dries in 10 seconds, so I'm feeling pretty confident.

There may well be a better glue for this, but while all my instincts said it wouldn't work, it has worked well.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Oh, you're human too. My favorite strategic mistyping of all time was a marketing letter addressed "Dear Suctomer".

Thanks again,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

JS:

Thanks for naming the cyanoacrylate. If it holds barnacles to hulls, that says something. A nod to you for prospecting among unlikely alternatives before giving up the ship and saying "trash".

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Somewhere around here I have a copy of "Hurst Boilers Trouble Sooting Guide"

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Edward Hennessey wrote: ...

To head of department while in uni...

Dr. Prof. What's his name Department of Unclear Engineering

--

Reply to
dpb

They do have a web site - all sorts of things there.

IIRC, they are the importer from a major German source. Might be independent now. I've used them for so many years that when I call about being a club member and give a card number I get a Huh ?

They went into N.Carolina as that was a massive (for years) furniture site.

Now they work the US looking for US :-)

I like the sample box of strip material. I buy the fine.

They make custom and standard sizes. I buy 1" and many other sizes of belts.

Mart>> Edward Hennessey wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

MHE:

I looked at their site and will follow with a Monday call. Thanks.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey