Beginners Syndrome

Page 4 of 9

I'm not looking for an accurate view of what I'm drawing, and I'm not intending to take measurements off the drawing (which is an incredibly inaccurate thing to do, which is why boatbuilders loft their drawings at full size, so they can take accurate measurements).
I get that you like to make a drawing, and let the results of that drawing determine the measurements. I don't. I make the measurements work, and don't worry about the exactness of the drawing.
John
On 11/21/2015 10:55 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Screw boat builders. ;~) Think Empire state building and bigger. FWIW in my formal drafting classes, mechanical and architectural the drawings had damn well better measure to scale to the dimensions drawn.
If you get buy with sketches and that works for you that is great. I'll dare say that all drawings for building on a professional level are drawn to scale.

No, you don't get it, but unless you use drawing programs you probably will not. That is OK.
Drawing programs actually help reduce the symptoms of BS, by allowing the prospective creator to revisit some of the technicalities in advance, resulting in a savings of time, mental anguish, and materials (as has been adequately discussed here before). This does not imply that the drawing created needs to be complete, not at all--just adequate for its purpose...you don't get paid for the drawing (unless you do, and that's a different discussion).
Bill
On 11/21/2015 12:39 PM, Bill wrote:

Being a little slow, I finally realized that BS did not mean BS. ;~)
I do get paid for the drawings and what I build from them. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Yes, I was thinking of you!

I does sorta work for BS, though. It's a common problem with track plan dreaming. A curve looks absolutely beautiful on the track plan, then you build it to scale and find out it's actually 12" radius and you need an absolute minimum of 18"!
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 11/21/2015 1:39 PM, Bill wrote:

I just built, I had it in my head. Sometimes I would come up with a new idea while working on it.
I have never built to plans. Just my head. I do have rough drawings and sizes when working on big things, you need to, to avoid material loss. And also if something requires an operation before another.. I make those notes, so I don't wind up in a spot without a way to hold, or get to a feature.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

The "design phase" we're talking about is designed to keep just that (expensive thing) from occurring!

Yes, last time I did drywall work, I drew pencil lines on the walls and divided it up into 30 numbered parts, so I could keep track of how much mud I had on each part of the walls, my tape defects, etc. I recall how thankful I was in the spring when, I resumed my work, that I had my "list" (because, covered with mud, they all looked the same!)

Why didn't you just write the information on the walls? ;-)/2
krw wrote:

I did that too--I had circle and arrows (connecting them, so I didn't forget any)--and a paragraph about each one, explaining what each one was, to be used as evidence against me... (assuming you know how the song goes...)
On 11/21/2015 9:03 PM, Bill wrote:

I was amazed to see him on PBS the other night. He is stil trying to be the person he was the 1960's.
PS for the "children" who are reading this we are talking about Arlo Guthrie
John McCoy wrote:

I pretty much get what you are saying as I did the same thing for years...make a rough sketch, add dimensions. If, eg, I wanted to make a box 24" x 10" x 3" it made no difference if the long side was 8x the shortest in my sketch, what counted were the dimensions.
I still do that sometimes but I also use SketchUp. It does, of course, give me an accurate drawing but just as importantly (to me, at least) is the fact that it gives me an accurate idea of how things are going to look. It also lets me easily play with variations or modify. And, using my drawing, I can do a material takeoff and and a cutting list. It's handy :)
On 11/21/2015 2:23 PM, dadiOH wrote:

And I will add, I don't do drawings to cut a board to length. ;~)
Simple stuff no need. Hundreds of parts with dado's that interlock in the x,y,z axis I better have detailed drawings to insure the dado's, rabbet, and half laps get cut correctly and in the right place.

Yes, and you can even do the jointery in software so you get those dimensions right, too. Doing everything is software first saves a lot of trees.
On 11/21/2015 9:46 AM, krw wrote:

Big time I do the joinery in the drawings. I draw every thing precisely as it will be built "except" where I put in Domino tenons. Because those can be accurately placed after the pieces are cut there is no need to draw them in place, at least the way I do them. Adding Dominos in a drawing does not change how the pieces will be cut, let me put that another way. I know exactly what size the Domino is and when I draw I make an allowance for the room it needs on the component. Adding Dominos to a drawing along with two mortises for each is very tedious. Now having said that perhaps Sketchup Pro will more quickly draw those mortises using the "Solid Tools". You don't get full use of Solid Tools with the free version.

Properly programmed, the software between your ears can do every bit as accurate a job - and for the older ones of us it can even be done more quickly.
On 11/21/2015 2:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll call you on using only your brain to keep up with hundreds of parts on a project.

Each with half a dozen cuts.
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 15:14:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

For trivial projects, perhaps.

And exactly what did the craftsmen of yesteryear do, before computers and CAD??? They did the calculations in their heads, and drew "diagrams" showing how it was to go together. A lot looked like leonardo Davinci's drawings 0 dimensioned but not accurately scaled.