Beginners Syndrome

"dadiOH" wrote in news:n2nolj$i55$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

There's much truth to that - but if you make a mistake, don't understand how it happened, how to fix it, and how to avoid making the mistake next time, then you're not learning, you're just stuck.

Places like this newsgroup are a good way to avoid that.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

There's a website called "expert village" that purportedly provides instructions for doing any number of thing provided by "experts" in each field. I've come to nickname many of them as "expert village idiots."

Here's an example that I know you will enjoy, Karl!

-MIKE-

It's a good thing I wasn't eating soup when I watched that.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

It mostly went over my head, but I could tell from the comments that it was somehow "wrong". I thought he "talked too much"!

Reply to
Bill

Did you mean: I thought he talked "one two three one two" much.

Reply to
Sonny

First he was simply playing in 4/4 time - the most common time signature that practically every pop song is in- but *counting* to five instead, running over into the next measure. Then it went completely off the rails. He was playing in something like the square root of 7 over Pi.

I almost didn't survive the video that YouTube put up as a natural segue from that one: "Expert Village Fails". I could scarcely breathe it was so hilarious.

My favorites were the drum instructor and the very last guy, who was somehow trying to show us how to build a recording studio. I couldn't figure out what part of recording studio building he was trying to show us, but he managed to squeeze in a spectacular number of errors using just a cinder block, a drill, anchors, furring strips and glue.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Sorry, here's the link:

Greg Guarino

Bill, he was trying to demonstrate playing in 5/4 time which is 5 beats per measure. Most modern music is in 4/4 time, four beat per measure, which it is commonly referred to as.... wait for it.... "common time" designated my a C in place of a fractional 4/4 at the head of a bar of sheet music. Probably the most famous 5/4 song is "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck. Another pop song that everyone knows is the theme song from Mission Impossible. These are both examples of a 5/4 song that sound like odd time. They sound natural and "danceable" to the average listener. Great modern composers like Sting make odd time songs like these the fact that they are in odd time doesn't even enter one's mind, until one tries to clap along. :-)

Hearing great odd time songs that flow so easily and groove so intrinsically can often cruelly lead a musician into thinking they are easy to play and easy to create.

Which leads us to the guy in this video. He thought it was easy and it's so deceptive that it fooled him even while he was attempting to play it. :-) The whole deal with the video, the funny part, is that he's playing what he *thinks* is a 5/4 groove, but he's playing it in

4/4 time and he can't seem to grasp that fact. It's akin to laying out studs on a wall on the half meter (19.2") marks on your tape measure instead of the 16" marks. You may have laid out 7 studs for an 8' plate, but that last stud is going to end up on the next 8 footer.

Basically when this 'expert' is playing his "5/4 groove" he's playing it in 4/4 time, but keeps messing up his counting. He keeps trying to count to 5, but his pattern repeats after beat 4. You can hear when his brain finally stops fighting his hands and he starts counting "2-3-4-5,

2-3-4-5, 2-3-4-5." His brain thinks, "Hey I got it now, I'm playing in 5 because my count is getting to 5 every time." :-D
Reply to
-MIKE-

Reminds me of the old joke about counting in 3/4 time. "One, two, threefour, one, two, threefour." It's better when you hear it. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote in news:n2nrf2$u6e$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What a weird website.

"How to prepare your pet for rain" "What panties are best for a small butt" "How to draw bats"

These mostly seem to be questions that don't need to be asked...

John

Reply to
John McCoy

LOL, yes, you're correct. But thank God there are experts for that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"dadiOH" wrote in news:n2noib$hpr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I made a habit of building entire high school shop projects out of the off-cuts and scraps saved from other's projects. First day of building, I'd be the one in the classroom, piece of paper on the desk finalizing (or starting ;-)) my plans... and generally avoiding the material gathering rush.

It's harder to do that now, despite all the variety of pieces I have I never seem to have the one I want. Things get complicated when you get beyond 1x12 pine boards.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

John McCoy wrote in news:XnsA558ABC88E139pogosupernews@213.239.209.88:

It's important to prepare your fish for rain. Go to the local party/drinks store and buy some little umbrellas for drinks. The fish love those, and it will keep them from getting wet.

Take your boyfriend along and ask his opinion. He'll make sure you look awesome, so long as he doesn't trip over his tongue.

It's like drawing straws, only you pick up bats instead.

Do I qualify as an expert?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

we all make mistakes. When you learn to fix them you have reached the craftsman level :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

I happend to fly model airplanes (he was a team member) with a professor, who was a phd, a head of the engineering dept, and he had never worked in the private sector, only for the university. No I won't mention which Univ. He was good, smart, had to get grants to keep the program going. He did some neat stuff, but He never worked outside of the university. He's retired .. He had to have the best of everything, but did not put the time into practicing. He jumped from thing to thing, because he never mastered the skills required for any of the disciplines. He thought it was the equipment that would make it better. I cared less about the equip, and concentrated on flying, strategy, and learning the ropes.

I also worked with 2 professors in a finance company. They did work for the company. Their code sucked, and their designs sucked. They were not practical.

I also worked in the pharma research area (I'm IT) , where some of the phd's needed assistants to prevent them from getting lost, or for other basic reasons.

Yes it does happen. Some of the least educated can be the most practical, or self sufficient. But there are real smart guys who are also very down to earth. The problem is there are more that are not well grounded.

Reply to
woodchucker

Snip

Yes I remember well.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly and you are not good until you can masterfully hide those mistakes because they continue to happen. :~)

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

And just to add a bit more. Tools, not the ones you use to cut wood, the ones you use to design with.

I used tp build furniture long before I got my first computer and it took me forever to build something. It really helps prevent many mistakes if you have a scale drawing instead of a picture in your head. ;~)

And until Sketchup I was not terribly fast even using AutoCAD LT. I suspect that Sketchup is as revolutionary to wood workers as the SawStop and Festool Domino...

If you are not using that program yet you should be.

Reply to
Leon

You win!

Reply to