Bearing for woodwork project

Hi,

I'm basically trying to reproduce this...

'm pretty sure i've figured out how i'm gonna do everything except I need to find some of these...

've spent hours searching along the lines of bearing, washer, lockable, adjustable, plastic, nylon, cam, bracket and a hundred other things in between with no luck so far.

So, anyone know where I can find a set of these plastic adjustable locking bearing things ?

I'm in the UK but willing to order from Euro or US.

Thanks

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete

I'm no mechanical engineer but I know physics. One can imagine the torsional stresses on that plastic thingy with the laptop and arms resting on the tray. IMHO the tray setup, as shown, is doomed for early failure. YMMV.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

I agree.

If I was going to duplicate the item you showed, I would just join the two arms witha third arm. Brace it the way that is used with artist's easals. It may not be pretty, but it will be much stronger.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

If you can't find the fittings, maybe you could uses an arrangement like this, except with two notched rails on the sides instead of one in the center. Or maybe two slotted rails with carriage bolts and knobs.

cerskine

Oops, that link doesn't seem to work. Go to

and find the "windowpane bookstand" under "books and tools" and look at "more photos" to see the mechanism I was thinking of.

Reply to
cerskine

Pete,

I don't know where to look but consider this:

The item you're looking for looks the same as the ones on the folding bike rack I have for my car. I think it was made by Rhoad Gear, or some similar name. Perhaps they sell parts online.

Good luck,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

You could make them using UHMD or bakelite plastics and make the grooves with a router and v-groove bit. Just a thought, I haven't actually done this. Finding the pieces would be cheaper but if your stuck its a possible solution. Good luck.

Reply to
Derrick

Pete, I think what you want is called a rotary hinge. One source is

down about 1/2 way. There are both plastic and steel. Good luck

-Darrell

P.S. I apologice to anyone else who now goes to mcmaster and proceeds to drool over the variety of parts and supplies that can be had..... I hope you don't blow the credit card! I love that site.

Reply to
Darrell Henze

Perfect !

I knew there had to be a company making them somewhere.

Thanks for all the replies

Reply to
Pete

Lee Valley Tools also sells hinges similar to what you're looking for.

?c=1&p=46693&cat=3,41241

Reply to
Upscale