Bandsaw Hyjinx

The other day, I saw where someone had cooked up a router height gauge that used a dial indicator. I had to have one of these. So I figured this would be a great quick project that would use my bandsaw and drill press, two tools I've been wanting to use on a project. (you see, I've been making a lot of cabinets and such lately...)
So I head over to my bandsaw. It's a Delta 14" with a riser block. I Noticed that I had my 1/2 inch blade on it. No problem, I'll switch over to that 1/8" blade which should be perfect for cutting out this curvy piece of hickory.
An hour later, I had it working. But I learned a couple things:
1. Bandsaws are difficult to adjust correctly.
2. I suck at adjusting bandsaws.
And I've read Larry Byrd's book. I guess I need to read it again.
My main problems were that the tension wasn't right, and I had the thrust bearing too far forward. And even if I hadn't made these mistakes, getting the tracking just right was difficult as well. People talk all the time about dedicating routers to certain bits. I'm ready to pick up a grizzly 14" bandsaw just so that I can have a 1/8" blade and a 1/2" blade installed and tuned at the same time. Maybe I need a third one with a bimetal blade for metal work. And a big fourth one for heavy resawing.
The VS drill press worked perfectly the first try. :-)
brian

Right next to my 14" Delta with the 1/2" blade is my 9" Ryobi with a 1/4" blade, and right next to that is the scroll saw. Chances are one of them can do it. I do still have to put the 1/8" blade on the big one for thick stock, but it doesn't happen that often.
-Leuf
Snip

Most are, the better ones are a snap. I went from an old hard to adjust Craftsman to an 18" Rikon. The Rikin was better but still a PIA. Now I have a LT16HD Laguna and adjustments take little time and tracking is almost a non issue. I seldom have to adjust tracking unless going from a 1/4" blade to a 1" blade. That adjustment takes about 1/4" turn of the tracking wheel.

So did I . You need a much better band saw. :~)

Yes, some times it is the equipment and not you.

Well there's your problem. Larry Byrd's books are about basketball, not bandsawing.
tommyboy wrote:

I'm having a bad day. I just posted a "nerbie" question over in the metalwork group.
brian

Perhaps on a more practical note, how about a scrollsaw?
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Don't get too hard on yourself. They can be tricky, and it takes a fair amount of practice to get it tuned in just right quickly.