Band Sawing in the UK (LAWS)

Page 1 of 4
Hi,
I got an email from snipped-for-privacy@conroy-family.net saying that a bandsaw may be a good choice for saws. The main problem at the moment is..
My CDT (woodwork) teacher told the class that we couldn't use the bandsaw because you had to be over 18 and have a licence. I highly think this was so that some idiots didn't "accidently" chop peoples fingers off. (You can imagine it)
Please could you tell me if this is true or not..
SB
SB asks:

I can't tell you if it's true about licensing and age for bandsaw use in the UK, but it sounds like complete BS. The bandsaw is slightly easier to use than the tablesaw, and a good deal less dangerous, so if the law exists, it's idiotic.
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

It may. I think you need special dispensation or something to use a chainsaw now in the UK.

Lobby Dosser responds:

Quite a difference, though. A chainsaw is one of the most dangerous portable power tools around, while a bandsaw is not particularly dangerous (given, though, that anything with a blade with teeth and a motor driving it can cause considerable damage).
Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:
[...]

Chainsaws alow for some extra dangerous usages. This summer i saw two construction workors installing plastic water tubing and cutting the tubes with a chainsaw. One worker kneeled on he street holding the pipe (~10" diameter) with two hands in front of him, the other kneeled on the street facing him and cutting the tube between the first workers hands with a chainsaw... Neither wore any protective clothing, face shield or ear protection.
Juergen Hannappel writes:

Jeez, man. That makes my skin crawl to think of it. I've written books on chainsaws, dropped a lot of trees, managed to nick a kneecap with one, and have never even considered doing anything close to that idiotic. When I was doing a lot of cutting, though, ear protection and protective clothing were hard to locate. Thirty years changes a bunch of things.
Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

That is just Darwin at work. When you legislate for the lowest common denominator, the rest of the population gets excessive inconvience and the gene pool suffers. Pretty soon everyone is the lowest common denominator. :o)
"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

IOW, the more you protect someone from their own folly, the more fools you have.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I agree that the chainsaw has far more potential for damage than the bandsaw, but the UK tends to go overboard when it comes to stuff like this. IIRC, you need a license to buy a chainsaw now.
They'll get my chainsaw when they pry it from my cold dead hands - no doubt just after I've cut off a leg. :o)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:22:36 GMT, Lobby Dosser
No, nor to use one on your own land.
Only if you're looking to buy a top-handle machine (which is a whole pile more dangerous), or you're looking to do "work" with one.
--
Smert' spamionam

I think all of our chainsaws in the US are top-handle. Don't remember seeing anything else. I see the top-handle as offering better control.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:30:05 GMT, Lobby Dosser
Then that's not a top-handle chainsaw.
All (?) chainsaws have a top handle. Most have a rear handle too. A "top handle" saw _only_ has a top handle. You use it one-handed and you don't have the rear handle to give you an extra couple to try and control any kickback.
They're basically dangerous and uncontrollable. They're only justifiable if you're working up a tree and need one hand for yourself - more an arborist's tool than a lumberman's. If you get a kickback, the saw _will_ jump up, because you simply can't control it in one hand. Your only hope of vaguely safe working is to reliably always know that when it jumps, you aren't where it's going to be heading. This requires skill and practice.
--
Smert' spamionam

Are you quite sure about that Andy? I looked at one on a web site and it looked like a two handed saw, just that the right hand grabs a handle that is on the top rear portion of the saw instead of the very rear of the saw. All the same, it looks to be very much a two handed saw. It certainly does not look as easy to control as a standard configuration.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

That Solo even _looks_ dangerous. Appears that these actually have two hand-holds at right angles, however. I'm sure most people use both simultaneously. Guy who sold me my first saw years ago used to show the left hand - less index finger - and say "when you're holding both handles, it can't happen."
Oh yes, never drop-start your chainsaw with the throttle lock engaged.

found

Drop starting a chain saw makes about as much sense as quick drawing and cocking a .45. Hank

found
That certainly appears to be a two handed saw to me. The black wrap around handle on the left is where your left hand goes and the top red handle is where your right hand goes. One, two.
and

Same thing. In the few web sites I've seen since this discussion started, I've not seen any mention of one handed operation.
Look at this link - there are two saws pictured. A top loader and a standard configuration. Both have the same wrap around handle for the left hand. http://www.asktooltalk.com/cgi-local/sk_store.cgi?P=tools/gardening/solo/index.html
It would be ridiculously unsafte to operate a chain saw with one hand. I can't imagine any manufacturer suggesting any such thing. One only has had to operate a chainsaw one time to realize this.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:16:58 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
No, because there will always be some other design out there that I've not seen. If there's room on the top of the case, then there could well be space for another handle, or just more handroom in a longer handle.
That would probably be even less safe - it encourages you to use it as a two-handled saw, but really you're still only getting a single grip on it. It's not the number of hands you're using, it's the distance you can get between them.
--
Smert' spamionam

I looked at the other links that folks posted today and all of the saws I saw (see saw....) were two handed models. I think you've mistaken the design. The difference is that some have the handle for the right hand on top instead of behind the saw. I can see the advantage of this design for certain applications. For example, bucking up logs at waist height would be easier with a top handle design than with a rear handle design. Both though are two handed saws. Both will give plenty of stability and control. Seems this one handed notion was founded on some mis-information.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Then I've Never seen them here. Your description may be the reason why I've never seen them here. Pros I know here use the standard models one handed while up a tree.