Band Saw Specialty Wood Question

Is the bandsaw the correct tool to cut a "natural" piece of wood to get pieces with special designs, etc.? Like to get a special pattern that occurred naturally? Like a log. Natural above simply meaning not from the store. I know all wood is natural :)
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Bandsaws, jigsaws, and scrollsaws can all make curved cuts. (and so can a Sawzall :) )
Dave

Are you talking about the best way to cut a burl?
I don't know. I mean I read somewhere that I could get a log, say like a piece firewood size. Just laying around in the woods, woodpile, etc. If you cut that wood with a band saw (That's the question) it can be used in various projects. For example, I might be able to cut a square box top our of a smaller log with the band saw. At least that is what I thought I read and what I am asking here.
If you're good.... Tom

I'm not quite sure if you're talking about a band saw box or just slicing wood sections to build small boxes. Either way, you can do both with a band saw. Here's a link to a book that discusses building band saw boxes. (Amazon.com product link shortened)

Turners do it all the time. Firewood is their raw material, unless they're wealthy enough to buy those chunks at Woodcraft.
Now get over to the FPL site and read about drying wood. Even most turnings are not instant gratification, they take time to try, and they move as they do.
Others have covered some good points, like to add that my best luck with green or partially seasoned wood has come with alternate set teeth on the band. Heat of cutting causes the adjacent fibers to swell, so you want a good kerf.
Yes but you'll need some sort of jig or sled to hold the piece of wood stable while you push it through the blade, like the one shown in this article: http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/articles/200008/main/page1.html
But don't even think of trying to cut a log or any other irregular piece of wood with a table saw--would not work and would be very dangerous.

Thank you. It is called resawing. This is exactly what I needed.