Band saw Recomendations? And Goodbye to the Rikon

Page 2 of 2

Leuf wrote:

You're trying to make my choice harder, fess up!
er
--
email not valid

Nah, the Griz, Delta and Jet are pretty much the same saw with slightly different stuff bolted to it. It's the illusion of choice that makes it difficult.
I know you were asking about trunions, I did learn in comparing the G0580 and G0555 that the 555 has larger trunions, but how it compares to the others I don't know.
-Leuf
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 23:32:47 GMT, "Leon"

I'm just curious what's the logic on making your own veneer? Between the cost of the saw and blades I'm not seeing a lot economic reasons.
-Leuf

Veneer is just a part of the equation and the economic reasons do not enter into the factor. Probably 75% of my woodworking is for income and as I get nearer to retirement I want to go to smaller projects. Some veneers are tuff to find and are expensive, especially in the exotics. Additionally I want more control over the thickness. I would rather deal with 1/8" thick than 1/16" or thinner stock. I have had a BS for 23 years and have not been impressed with the performance and want to go with one that works as well as my TS. I reason that if a BS can cut nice veneer the other cuts will naturally fall into place. Basically for a hobby the economic reason would be hard to justify but when selling the goods the cost works out.
:> :> I'm just curious what's the logic on making your own veneer? Between :> the cost of the saw and blades I'm not seeing a lot economic reasons.
: Veneer is just a part of the equation and the economic reasons do not enter : into the factor. Probably 75% of my woodworking is for income and as I get : nearer to retirement I want to go to smaller projects. Some veneers are : tuff to find and are expensive, especially in the exotics. Additionally I : want more control over the thickness. I would rather deal with 1/8" thick : than 1/16" or thinner stock.
And commercial veneer is way thinner than 1/16th -- a lot are now 1/100th of an inch thick, most premium stuff comes in at 1/42nd.
That's really thin -- if you make your own, you have much more ability to sand/scrape/plane it.
And another reason for resawing -- sometimes you find a really gorgeous board, say of fiddleback maple, striped ebony, etc. And you want it to go as far as possible. Use it as solid stock, you get maybe a small bo. Slice it, and you can have (the surface of) a tabletop.
         -- Andy Barss
I will second that advice. I posted a question to this newsgroup several weeks ago concerning the viability of veneering only one side of a substrate. I had a great piece of maple that I wanted to "stretch". Since I had never tried veneering I wanted as much advice as I could find.
I had lousy results with contact cement. I had great results with standard woodworkers glue. I had several metal "angle" sections that provided great clamping. Overall, my project was a great success. Resawing was easier that I anticipated and since I have a Performax sander I was able to reach uniformed thickness quite easily.
Veneering will be used in many future projects.
John
Leon wrote: <SNIP>
Leon:
I went through the same evaluation you're going through and settled on the MM16. It's got a 16" resaw, 4.8HP single phase motor and will take up to 1.25" blades. I looked at Rikon and Laguna. I use the saw exclusively for resawing as I've got an old 14" Delta for general use.
I picked the MM16 due to reviews, it's weight and value. It's at least 100 lbs. heavier than the equivalent Laguna (it's over 500 lbs.) and was less expensive. Their customer service is excellent.
~Mark.
Shipping was about $200, so if you can deliver

Hi Mark,
I think the Laguna and MiniMax are in an upper league when compared to the Rikon. The Rikon is a good saw for the money but like you I want a saw that does what it is suppose to do but with some grace.. I see the Mini has Euro guides. I really don't care for the side guide roller bearings that the less expensive saws have. Laguna now uses the ceramic guides, how do you like the Euro style? Right now the guides seem to be the glaring difference between the Mini and the Laguna. While the Mini has a bit more weight, hp, etc. I think both saws are long past adequate. The Mini certainly has the advantage of being some what local for me. I want to resaw and cut veneer but will also being using it for every thing else that you would do with a BS. Quick blade changes, if that is possible, is a major factor for me also. I sold my old BS immediately after getting the Rikon and now there is an empty space in my garage. :~!)