Band saw Blade Width

Hi, I just purchased the JET 18" Band Saw with bearing guides. It came with a 133" 3/4" blade. Not only is the blade not all that sharp - but If I am doing smaller more intricate cuts (like cutting small boards for drawers, shelves...). when I replace the blade should I be getting a 1/8" blade? What are the dis/advantages of smaller width blades? Thanks!

--Sean

Reply to
Sean Randall

So your next purchase should be Duginske's bandsaw handbook

book on bandsaws, worth getting for the advice on blade choice alone.

A bandsaw is no more than a machine for making the blade do the real work. Width isn't too important, but tooth count and shape certainly are. You should have a range of appropriate blades to hand, and swap them as you need.

I'd say a 3/4" blade is probably the top end for a typical 18" machine. There's never any point in a wider blade than the machine can _tension_, not just that it can drive. The smallest is usually dependent on the guides, not the wheels. 1/4" is usually about the minimum. A roller guide will destroy a blade in seconds if mis-adjusted. With Cool Blocks you can go down to 1/8", as they don't mind running in contact with the teeth.

As to blade makers, then there's a difference here too. Timber Wolf are highly spoken of, but I've not tried them myself.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Here is a review of that very book if you need more information.

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw

- Triton Powered Respirator

- Veritas Power Tool Guide

- Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo

Jonno

So your recommendation is?????

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends if you are turning (scroll) I have a Jet 20 and it came with a POS 1". So I recommend that you dump your 3/4", and call timberwolf

and ask them for recommendations on a starter set. Likely they can recommend a 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 that will handle normal needs.

clutch

Are you a salesman from Suffolk? I know a few posters including myself regretted buying Timberwolf saw blades, it's really a trash even with one replacement!

Reply to
WD

Many here are satisfied customers sharing their positive experience. That's all. I like my Suffolk blades; I like my WoodSlicer 1/2" too.

Reply to
mttt

Are you a salesman for a competitor????

I know a few posters including myself who use the Timberwolf and Olsen blades with great success. Find them FAR AND AWAY better than most available.

Reply to
Vic Baron

I have little experience with other brands. The blade that came with the saw and Timberwolf. I like them, but that does not mean there is not better. I'll be back as I'm going to be needing a blade soon. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Right now I have no recommendation. I bought two Timberwolf blades base on "strong" recommendations here. Contrary to all the "praises," about Timberwolf's blades, I found the blades unacceptable. In the next few days I will post the pics, as I am presently waiting for a new saw blade from another seller. I do not know how will the results be. Please do come back in another few days.

Reply to
WD

By the way are you from Suffolk? (please tell us)

Many are satisfied, and many are also unsatisfied. Fine Woodworking also agree with me. Find Woodworking also says WoodSlicer is excellent. But, at the present I am not willing to pay thirty odd bucks for WoodSlicer yet. I waiting for another blade that cost less than Timberwolf.

To each his own and I respect your preference and I hope you reciprocate.

Cheers. :-)

Reply to
WD

I am NOT a salesman for ANYONE. I wish I am as successful as you using Timberwolf's blades. I tried and tried spending 3 days adjusting, tickle with the brand NEW bandsaw. Including replacing the LOWER wheel and a new blade from Suffolk. It's really hopeless!

I really wish I could tell you I love Timberwolf, but I just CAN'T.

Reply to
WD

Reply to
George

Nope, how about you? I really wish my Timberwolf blade is good and I too would sing praises here.

Reply to
WD