Band saw Blade Width

Hi, I just purchased the JET 18" Band Saw with bearing guides. It came with a 133" 3/4" blade. Not only is the blade not all that sharp - but If I am doing smaller more intricate cuts (like cutting small boards for drawers, shelves...). when I replace the blade should I be getting a 1/8" blade? What are the dis/advantages of smaller width blades? Thanks! --Sean

So your next purchase should be Duginske's bandsaw handbook (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Good book on bandsaws, worth getting for the advice on blade choice alone.
A bandsaw is no more than a machine for making the blade do the real work. Width isn't too important, but tooth count and shape certainly are. You should have a range of appropriate blades to hand, and swap them as you need.
I'd say a 3/4" blade is probably the top end for a typical 18" machine. There's never any point in a wider blade than the machine can _tension_, not just that it can drive. The smallest is usually dependent on the guides, not the wheels. 1/4" is usually about the minimum. A roller guide will destroy a blade in seconds if mis-adjusted. With Cool Blocks you can go down to 1/8", as they don't mind running in contact with the teeth.
As to blade makers, then there's a difference here too. Timber Wolf are highly spoken of, but I've not tried them myself.
--
Smert' spamionam

Here is a review of that very book if you need more information. http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/bandsawhandbook.htm
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo ------------------------------------------------------------

Depends if you are turning (scroll) I have a Jet 20 and it came with a POS 1". So I recommend that you dump your 3/4", and call timberwolf http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ and ask them for recommendations on a starter set. Likely they can recommend a 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 that will handle normal needs.