Band mill plans

Any word on this design?
Strange concept seems like a good idea tho
http://www.builditplans.com
The mill bed and carrage dont run horizontal like a regular mill
I would be interested in building one of these if it works!
Not all logs are regularly shaped, and it would be interesting to know whether the fingers can be individually adjusted to the shape of the log, or whether packing would be required.
Any idea of dimensions?
It looks as if the fingers which advance the log between cuts are driven up a worm gear by a chain shown at the RHS of the diagram?
How is the saw advanced against the log, is it "hand pressure"?
The tow bar and bracket arrangement looks weak!
RS
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:46:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@expressvoo.ca wrote:

I favour this device myself.
http://www.lucasmill.com.au /
Go here to read about how it is used and what it produces.
http://www.messing-about.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t 17 Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd /

Sure they do. The carriage movement is horizontal, although the blade orientation is sorta-vertical. Or were you referring to the slope of the bed? I suspect that's intended to let gravity assist in holding the log back against the stops.
We're used to seeing band mills with a horizontal blade orientation, but almost all circle saws run vertically. I pondered a chainsaw mill with vertical orientation. That 24" resaw bandsaur we all dream of runs vertically, so it's not unheard of. It's just unusual to see a mill in which the bandsaw moves on a carriage, but is oriented (sorta) vertically. Doesn't mean it's not a perfectly good idea, though.
My problem with it would be the unsupported off-cut trying to split off before the cut was finished. Put some support under it, and it might work.
Kevin
Ok SolidWorks drawing, But I've seen better plans out there....Brian in Hampton