Craftsman 20" band saw any good?

There is a "craftman 20" bandsaw" for sale in my local paper for $175.00. I would like a big one to be able to do resawing. I currrently have a Delta 14", but it has a small motor and no riser kit. Do any of you have one like this or seen it. I am betting it's an import, and I worry about parts availabilty, and also if the thing is worth bringing home. Give me your thoughts before I visit and get the all excited about buying a new tool.

Thanks!

Reply to
ToolMiser

DIYGUY

Go look at it.

For 175 bucks if it's really a 20" bandsaw it would have to be in pretty bad shape to not be worthwhile. Even if it costs you a thousand bucks to fix it you're still money ahead.

20" is outside the range where you commonly encounter cheaply made consumer products.

I'd be willing to bet though that when you get there you'll find that it's not really a 20".

With Craftsman, unless it's so old (as in decades, not months) that they've run out of parts and can't get more, parts should not be an issue.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have an 18" bandsaw made by parks in the (IIRC) late 60's for craftsman. it's a beast. here's what it looks like:

it's one of those for $175, buy it.

Reply to
bridger

I called tonight and it was gone. It had been listed for over a week, and it took me this long to enquire. You snooze, you loose! I would be interested in a nice big unit if it is located in the Wisconsin area. Let me know if you have one to part with!

Thanks

Reply to
ToolMiser