buying bandsaw blades

This shouldn't be this difficult. I'm trying to get some good blades for my Dad for the holiday. He received the HF 14" saw for his birthday (not unpacked yet) and is getting the recommended riser for Christmas. If I'm buying blades, what length should I get? This would be directed to the saw owners out there. I was thinking of the Timberwolf, as this seems to be the consensus, but without assembling the saw, mesuring the diameter of the wheels, measuring the distance between the centers and doing the math -the math I can do, the saw I don't have access to- what do I order?

Also, blade style.... He will be cutting regular 4/4 hardwood, as well as resawing some of his 4" x 12" redoak planks that are parked in the shop. Can you recommend some blades that would fit these tasks?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew F Besser

Yer right, not difficult at all. A 14 inch bandsaw will take 93.5 inch blades. Add the riser, and now your talkin' 105 inchers. The types of blades used will depend on the material & thickness, but a rule of thumb is to have at least 3 teeth in the work at all times. Tooth profiles vary, and I prefer a "hook" type for resawing of more dense hardwoods. Do some searching on the internet, too. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

If you call Timberwolf, they can probably tell you what size the blades are if you know the bandsaw model number. Most 14" would take

92.5 or 93.5 - with the riser (6"?), it will probably be closer to 105" or so.
Reply to
Jim K

them.. the makes of Timberwolf

everyone here will probably agree -- I only know bec. I got a 14" Jet a few weeks ago and had similar Qs. There is some debate about Olson vs Lenox vs Suffolk blades, but TW is well respected.

most likely you want 105" blades -- but the suffolk team can consult w/ ya.

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout