Attn: California WoodWorkers

Huell Howser, who creates TV programs shown on PBS here in California, based on sort of a travel log format, had an interesting program last night.

Interviewed a guy in North Hollywood who turns burls into bowls and other turned items, in his garage workshop, then sells them on Sundays at the farmer's market.

Huell's interest was sparked to do the interview since the guy basically was reclaiming what otherwise would be waste into something of value.

The other guy was a self taught carver who carved half models of steam locomotives out of basically a big board.

Amazing stuff.

This program will be shown again on PBS stations across the state.

Check out KCET for details.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Were the phrases, "That's amazing!" and "Wait a minute!" and "I've never seen anything like that!" used at least 27 times each during the course of the show? :^) The Simpson's had a character based on him in one episode, called him Howell Hueser. He's a funny guy in large part because he's like a giant child, everything amazes and delights him, not a bad way to go through life I suppose.

Reply to
DGDevin

I love stuff like that. I make bowls, cutting boards, treenware, etc., out of clean dunnage. Not many will put the effort into it, but the rewards can be pretty nice.

OK, went to their site and didn't see anything referencing this show. I didn't know the name of the show, so I looked around for anything referencing his name. Either I missed it, or it wasn't there.

However, I can now tell you what time Clifford The Big Red Dog is on in Los Angeles. Also, Dragon Tales.

Seriously, could you give me the name of this program? I would like to see if there is a rebroadcast site that I could go to and see it when it comes out.

Thanks -

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Far from being waste, burl is some of the most valuable wood there is, both for turnings and for veneer.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Reply to
Jim Hall

Part of the joy of being an outside salesman is the freedom it gives you to explore your territory.

You drive down the road till you see a side road, then ask yourself, "Wonder where that goes?", then turn on to that side road and see what happens.

It is just part of what getting out of bed is all about.

"Gee, wonder what am I going to find today?"

When I lose that quest for new adventure, it will be time to become fertilizer for a potted plant.

Somehow I thing Huell has a similar outlook.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

etc., out of clean dunnage. Not many will put the effort into it, but the rewards can be pretty nice.

Seriously, could you give me the name of this program? I would like to see if there is a rebroadcast site that I could go to and see it when it comes out.

+++++++++++++++++++++ Visiting...With Huell Howser

Woodworkers

Two California woodworkers are observed.

Thursday, January 31, 7:30 PMKCET - Channel 28

Enjoy

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks! I'll be looking for an internet rebroadcaster of this.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41