anyone know of anyone that's actually used a Steel City Toolworks bandsaw?

I'm trying to decide what to buy next...bandsaw or jointer. I was planning on a jointer, but then Steel City came out with their fall discounts.
Their 18" bandsaw looks really solid on paper (cast iron wheels adjustable to be coplanar, cast iron trunnions, foot brake), but I can't seem to find any hands-on reviews of them.
Anyone here actually seen/used one in person, or know anyone who has?
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

I haven't used one, but several (at least two) mags have reviewed their line of tools and gave it a generic big thumbs up. They say the company emphasizes the basics over bells and whistles. Supposedly the company was founded by former Jet and Delta people that were tired of seeing the business become nothing but an exercise in cost reduction.
Might be a good time to get one of their products. If they are even 1/4 as good as their hype, I can see them getting a big reputation and the prices rising accordingly.
bf wrote:

I like their new Drill Press after checking it out locally. One of the attractions for me is the 6" quill stroke.
I haven't seen a Steel City band saw in person, but if it's like the ones I have seen, it's worth a close look.
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:09:29 -0600, Chris Friesen

Saw one at the Atlanta show this past summer. Have not used it.
Individuals who run and make up the company are top notch, best in the industry.
Frank
Chris Friesen wrote:

I'd never heard of Steel City Tools before so I checked out their website - very nice looking tools. I have to say, though, being from Pittsburgh, I am dissapointed that they don't even have a distributer anywhere near the "Steel City" area!! I wonder how they came up with their name...

Steel City evolved from Orion, based in Pittsburgh. The President and much of the original staff are from Pittsburgh.
They are in the process of carefully setting up distribution. I'm sure Pittsburgh will come.
Frank
Chris Friesen wrote:

impressed at it's quality. Until I found the fence slightly warped. Called customer service one time and had a replacement in 5 days, didn't even have to send the warped one back. Needless to say I shall purchase more of their tools in the future. By the way, the bandsaw looked well made but I didn't get to operate it. Did operate their floor standing drill press which is next on my list.
Chris Friesen wrote:

Ok, I saw one of these in the store this past weekend.. Didn't get a chance to fondle it, but it looks like a nice machine. The fence seems a lot better than my Rikon. It has roller bearing blade guides, and a foot brake.
I know that's not a whole lot of information, but it looks quite impressive.