Anyone buy a PC 60 gal compressor recently?

A local store has a Porter Cable 60 gallon air compressor on sale. The only way I can get it home is to lay it on its side. Does anyone know if it come in a cardboard box strong enough to support the compressor on its side?

Most products go through some package testing, including drops on all sides to meet NSTA standards. Given that not everyone has a pickup, they are probably very aware that it will be transported for at least some distance in a station wagon or van and has to be laid down.
Unless the carton specifically states that a given side should not be down, you should have no problem. The tank is just a big empty can and the compressor and motor should be properly braced.
Your only concern is who it going to help you drag it out and get it into the shop. Ed

down. No problems. Greg
The issue is the oil. If the compressor is not oil less, you need to wait until any oil that has slipped past the rings returns to the crankcase.
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:51:58 -0700, Greg O wrote

Aren't new units shipped without oil? Maybe they don't add oil for exactly at the factory for exactly this purpose.
Barry
in message wrote:

There was not any oil in my 60 gallon PC whenb I bought it. Hauled it home, stood it up in the shop, poured some compressor oil in it, and went to work. Greg
Should not hurt it. Be SURE to let it stand upright for 3-4 days to let oil seep back where it belongs. Otherwise, you'll burn up your motor.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I bought one this evening. While it didn't come in a "box", it was mounted to a pallet with 4 thick cardboard corner pieces and several thick spacers. This whole thing was wrapped in plastic similar to saran wrap. Two teenagers tipped it on its side and slid it into my vehicle. The spacers kept the motor, gauges, etc. from touching the ground. When I got home, I slid it off, stood it back up and then used a hand truck to get it into my shop. It was a piece of cake.
There was no oil in the pump but a bottle of it was included.
Thanks again!

Same as mine. Greg