"Tasword PC" Anyone ?

I am looking for some software called "Tasword PC" by Tasman Software.

I used this years ago before Windows 95 came onto the scene. It ran in Microsoft DOS. I have an old laptop with not much memory which I would like it for.

Can anyone help please.?

Kindest regards,

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

The Natural Philosopher

Alternatively you could try one of the cut down Linux distributions instead of DOS - these come with many word processor options.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

it have to be Tasword? Wordstar was much more common.

GB

From what O could glean, that's actually a dos version but I cant be arsed to download it and see.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok I DID downloaded it and... README.TXT: ==========

TASWORD.EXE

-----------

PC executable version of the famous ZX Spectrum text processor Tasword

  1. You will not need any emulator to run this program! If you are not happy with the Microsoft Word, maybe you will be happy with the Tasword??? This program is an example how to access the printer in the ZXCOMP-ed program. This IS really a text processor (it CAN do printing etc.), but with ZX Spectrum limitations (max 312 lines of text, etc.). This program will bring to you feeling how the word processing looks in the time of the ZX Spectrum, but now on the PC (without the emulator)...

Of course, the program has saving/loading possibility. An example file (TUTOR.TSW) is included, and it will bring to you a short tutorial how to use it (of course, if you want to use it, e.g. if you are a mazochist). To load it, press ALT+A to get a main menu, then select option "L" and type in the file name (TUTOR). This program reads and writes files with extension .TSW. You must not give the extension, the program will do it automatically.

How this program is created

---------------------------

Making this program was not so easy, because the original Tasword has a long BASIC part which is not quite adequate for making a standalone PC executable. The source file was TASWORD2.TAP tape file. First, the BASIC part is modified, so a new basic part looks like:

10 CLS : LET a=USR 64330 20 CLS : LET a=64*INT (a/64+0.99): IF a=0 THEN GO TO 3000 25 LET nmb=0: GO SUB 4000: PRINT AT 4,0;"PRINT TEXT FILE [P]" 28 PRINT : PRINT "SAVE TEXT FILE [S]" 30 PRINT : PRINT "LOAD TEXT FILE [L]" 35 PRINT : PRINT "MERGE TEXT FILE [M]" 40 PRINT : PRINT "RETURN TO TEXT FILE [R]" 55 PRINT : PRINT "RETURN TO DOS [D]" 70 PRINT AT 20,0;" ";INVERSE 1;"PRESS KEY"; INVERSE 0;" " 80 LET a$=INKEY$: IF a$="" THEN GO TO 80 90 LET b=CODE a$: IF b
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 05/11/2012 11:37, The Natural Philosopher wrote: > So you COULD have done that yourself and answered your own question...

Indeed! But a) it's a .ru website, and b) I got a warning about the file from my browser, so I chickened out. You're obviously braver than me.

Reply to
GB

well I wouldn't RUN the executable for sure.

Outside of a Dos box in a sandbox virtual machine..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its a dos version in the sense that its a spectrum emulator and tasword built into a single executable. So you get the whole speccy experiance including rather blocky on screen fonts etc.

Alternatively Borland sidekick was good. A pop up TSR program that was largely driven with wordstar keystrokes. Great for developing code without an IDE. You could simply jump in an out of the editor complete with file in place, with just a hot key combination.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you're wanting a DOS wordprocessor, I can recommend Borland Sprint. It's even got a few printer drivers built in, and some modern printers can emulate one or more of the printers it can feed.

It's available on at least one abandonware site.

Reply to
John Williamson

Unfortunately linux and low memory don't seem to mix. I've not found any desktop linux that idles at less than about 64M, making minimum usable ram about 128M.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you have USB ports on your laptop then Puppy Linux can boot and run from a USB stick. You might find that's ok.

Reply to
mick

ISTR running Linux and X happily on a machine with 8MB, but that was close on 20 years ago :-)

Current slackware seems to claim 64MB for the install, so your 128MB is probably right - although I think I have a 4-year-old slack install on an old IBM thinkpad w/128MB, and that chugs rather a lot even then. 256MB probably improves things a lot (so long as not running anything heavyweight).

Personally I'd go for DOS with a TCP/IP stack and Wordperfect 5.1. I seem to recall Ami Pro being quite nice back in the day, and I think that ran under MSODS ;)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

desktop linux that idles at less than about 64M, making minimum usable ram about

128M.

yerrs. Damn Small Linux is a possible distro

work with 16MB ram.

But desktop? Not sure it comes with any windowing..Oh apparently it actually DOES!!!

Mmm I would say looking at the screenshots that you will need about 64M RAM to run it with X-windows and apps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not many old machines will BOOT from USB even if they have USB ports.

Better to boot from CD or floppy..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

y desktop linux that idles at less than about 64M, making minimum usable ra= m about 128M.

Windows 3 with LFN can run happily on 3M, and 95 on 8M. But no GUI linux ca= n run on much less than 128M. DSL, Puppy etc are no exceptions. Sure one ca= n run command line linux or dos on a lot less, but that makes machines a lo= t less useful. Why a minimal ram graphical linux doesn't exist I don't know= . There's no shortage of old laptops about that could have their uses.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Have you actually TRIED?

Sure one can run command line linux or dos on a lot less,

I HAVE seen X windows running on 2M or so on a low res screen. But X-windows is a full featured window system in the way windows 3 never was.

Looking at my system here, the apps themselves - Firefaux, Udderbird, VLC (Im watching telly) and a game I am playing are all > 100MByte memory.

Then the applets are all around the 10-20MB mark - that's little daemons running things like the clock, the weather, the update manager and the menus ...

I'm running about 2GB of memory in total..out of the 4 in the system :-)

That's C++ for ya!

X itself is about 10-12Mbytes

So the problem on a low ram system is likely to be the apps rather than the X server itself

I agree that you aren't likely to run X on a 3M machine!

you need 64MB RAM fr a reasonable windowed damn small linux. wit 24Mbyte a bare minimum.

I know my 512Mbyte system swaps badly with more than one BIG windowed app running on Debian...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had 4MB. And it was a 386. And I ran Netscape. Slowly.

It's still here if anyone wants a go:

don't try anything modern on it...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Which shows you how crude windows 3 was really.

I did run X on some sort of pc unix on 2MB ram.

Then on SCO unix on same ram.

Just about ran X-eyes IIRC.

X is like postscript. A piece of software at least 10 years ahead of the hardware at its inception.

But IIRC first X I saw on Linux was doing fairly well on 4MB and a 486

Motif or XVM or something.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I remember one workplace issuing me a 486 w/16MB and Win95 on it. It was throughly useless for doing anything with, and dumped within a few days in favour of a pentium w/32MB. I can't imagine Win95 doing anything more than booting in 8MB.

I'm reasonably sure I had Win 3.11 running comfortably in 2MB, though.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson