O T - Computer Request

A little OT this but I am building up an old PC XT/AT machine.

I have motherboard and all the other boards required plus a power supply. What I need now is a desktop case or tower case to put them in.

Can anyone help ?

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Um - yes but you would need to collect from West Lothian. ( I have a full sized AT tower with 5 x 5 1/4" front bays plus internals - all in aluminium. Can't bear to put in on the tip)

Reply to
Geo

You anywhere near Doncaster? I've currently got one sitting outside ready for me to take to the recycling place .. School goes through them like water ... some kids gone through all the ports and probably elsewhere, with a biro and screwed stuff up but you can have it with pleasure.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

If you put where you are in the world and what radius you are willing to travel to collect might be a better idea. ;¬)

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Do you have a local Freecycle group? Such things come up here often. It also means they're in your area.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi Dave, Many thanks for your suggestion. I run 3 recycle groups and have asked many times but to no avail. Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Are you will for me to send a courier to collect George ? Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

I have a couple of old cases somewhere - west suffolk - if you can collect.

both are large and one is rackmount.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just to clarify, are you after a proper AT format case (i.e. one without the ATX knockout, a hard switched power supply, and a big round cutout for the 5 pin DIN keyboard connector), or any modern ATX case?

Got an old AT style mini tower, but its been sat outside waiting for the next time I go to the tip...

Reply to
John Rumm

This is exactly what I am looking for John

Reply to
the_constructor

For many years I put together PC's for a charity and its's members.

A regular look around the local tip provided a steady supply of old parts including whole PC's.

I suspect that as PC's have come down in price there will be a corresponding increase in ditched systems. I never had to pay although a couple of times I rode my luck by retrieving cases from the "dumped" area rather than from the section where parts had been initially placed by the public.

I would suggest "hanging around" for a while to intercept anyone bringing in such PC's before they throw them into skips etc

km

Reply to
km

XT or AT? It makes a difference to what type of case is required.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

ok, just checked the one I have... alas I had been a bit too efficient and already binned the plastic fascia - just keeping the metalwork (which was galvanised and is in reasonable condition in spite of being outside)... so probably not much use to you unless you like that half finished look!

Reply to
John Rumm

I was imagining someone building museum exhibits:

admit to owning either?

Reply to
Part Timer

The computer I am building up is a 486sx25 PC AT. I had forgotten that XT and AT cases were different. Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Sadly not any more. I did have an XT (5160) for years, and its predecessor the 5150 - but when I moved to the US I tried to cut down on the amount of things I'd have to ship over one day, and they're heavy critters. I wish I'd kept them now, though (I had it in my head that it would be reasonably easy to replace them once in the US as they would have been more common over here, but they seem to be rather rare even this side of the Pond).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Just as a matter of interest, why are you doing this?

km

Reply to
km

flippin eck..windows 2?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Replied by email.

Reply to
Geo

I am a Radio Amateur and in order to program certain types of ex-emergency services radio's you need to have a computer with a processor that runs between 8 and 40 MHz and will also run MS-Dos, as the software will not run on the more modern machines even in a DOS window.

I used to have an IBM machine as someones link showed, way back but not now. I also used to mess around building them up from bits and passing them onto other Radio Amateurs.Nowadays, I build PC's up from bits for people which I scrounge from recycle groups.

- Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor