Any Suggestions....Metal Rulers

Page 2 of 4

Leon wrote:

Depends on your associates and associations as you grew up. I use tape measure, but tape rule sounds ok.
You brought up a good point because people here are discussing rule or ruler, and the use is obviously slipping toward ruler, but an even greater slip is from rule or ruler toward measure. In everyday life, for most Americans (BTW that is the appropriate shortening for people who are citizens of the United States of America) rules and rulers are not used for making lines (a basic idea of rule) but for measuring. I would suspect that "measure" will slip into the name of every type of measurement device unless something else is obvious and shorter.

Now was there any reason for this? If you can't take a friendly, constructive jab on the upper arm, maybe your daddy hasn't taught you how to play with others?
A king is a ruler. A rule is a measuring device.
Hard, eh?
You little puke.
Robatoy wrote:

Then there's college ruled paper:
http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/~parker/college-ruled-paper.html
To paint something, use a painter.
To rule something, use a ruler.
:q

The word doesn't exist.
Robatoy wrote:

If it is in the dictionary and it now is in some, it is a word. Nonetheless, what's wrong with it is using it marks one as an ignorant person.
Tue, Jan 31, 2006, 6:54am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (GeorgeE.Cawthon) doth irregardlessly burble: If it is in the dictionary and it now is in some, it is a word. Nonetheless, what's wrong with it is using it marks one as an ignorant person.
Wouldn't "irregardless" be more proper than "nonetheless"?
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
J T wrote:

Hardly, nonetheless is an old well established adverb, while irregardless is nonstandard. Guess you don't use a dictionary much!

It used to be safe to consider that if a word was in the dictionary, it was a real word, but these days that measurement can't be trusted. Look up the word "Ax" in the dictionary - use dictionary.com and if memory serves me correctly, try webster.com. That a word shows up in the dictionary is not really proof it's a proper word. Words are sometimes defined in the dictionary as improper variations of a "real" word.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

was
the
Whose dictionary?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)(3155
As long as a word communicates it is "real", and only the pedants get their panties twisted.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

(Amazon.com product link shortened)(3155
Yeah... A friend and I were conversating. LOL I think it is when you try to define the word it gets tricky.
Swingman nonetheless and irregardless of sound principle hoists his petard against pedants, and says:
"As long as a word communicates it is "real", and only the pedants get their panties twisted."
But if by "pedants" you mean people who are smarter than you are, perhaps you ought to give them a listen. They might have good reason. Good reasoning is "real" too.
Regardlessly yours, and with panties feeling great, H
"hylourgos" wrote in message

If you don't know what I meant by the word "pedant", look it up, in any dictionary, then check your panties again.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:
"As long as a word communicates it is "real", and only the pedants get their panties twisted."

Knowing the etymology for pedant is more useful than looking up some lexicographer's entry. My panties are still pretty and dry, but at my age I appreciate your interest anyway.
And since you're the one who used the word with negative connotations despite its rather positive etymology, perhaps you ought to tell us why you don't like pedants, or at least why we shouldn't listen to them.
You might also note the tone of my post above, especially as it begins (and which you unwisely and w/o attribution snipped: "Swingman nonetheless and irregardless of sound principle hoists his petard against pedants, and says:"). It was, in other words, meant as a gentle and facetious response to your nonsensical assertion. If you prefer to make this into a serious argument about words and definitions, hey, I'm game.
H.
"hylourgos" wrote in message

Don't bother ... you've already amply illustrated my original point.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
Mike Marlow wrote:

Trust, there is nothing to trust. A dictionary just catalogs use. Are you saying that new dictionaries "lie" about use?
What is a proper word? you mean a word used properly, an acceptable spelling? Not sure what you mean by a proper word.
How do you define what a word is and is not? Simple, any combination of sounds or letters in written form that coveys some meaning (which means there is some agreement on the meaning by a group of people) is a word. And dictionaries usually define the type of use, e.g., colloquial, slang, regional, rare, standard, substandard, etc.
I know Robatoy, I'm just allowing you to rant. ;-)
jc

Robatoy wrote:

Don't even THINK of calling them "rulers" or "rules" in front of a machinist or aircraft mechanic. They are "scales".
Dale Scroggins

IIRC a rule has one measurement. A scale had multiple scales of measurement. No?