Any stair questions?

Get a life go cook your chicken anybody like to talk with respect about the stair trade?

Reply to
florida stairman

Yes, the OvenStuffer. Just the two of us so we get at least two dinners and two lunches from one. I use a similar seasoning but often add rosemary and/or basil to the mix.

I addition to the onion, a few lemon wedges in the cavity. Sometimes I squeeze a half lemon over the top of it when plated. God recipe for lime chicken on my web page.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nice stuff. Nice talking to someone who's not jerking. Where you from?What state? What wood was the stair made of? Whew! Plowing the bottom of the curved rail was a real challenge and time consuming for sure. Making curved fillet strip. Lots of work. Do you cad draw your work? Did i see bowed treads & risers? Really nice stuff- a genuine stairman... I can appreciate it....with nothing better to do than cook chicken... Buddy's good at it I'm sure. Be nice Buddy -cheer up!

Reply to
florida stairman

Sounds good to me especially since with all the rain, can't work on the boat today.

This is one I created a few weeks ago I call "Chicken Lewie".

CHICKEN LEWIE

4-6 Pieces of chicken with skin (I use thighs). 4-6 Stalks Celery, cleaned and chopped. 1-2 Large Onion, cleaned and chopped. 4-6 Cloves Garlic, cleaned and chopped. 1-2 Cans, Mushroom soup (10 oz) 1-2 Cans Sliced mushrooms (4 oz) 1 Cup, Uncooked Rice 2-3 Cups, Milk as required. Kosher salt, Fresh cracked black pepper. Olive oil for cooking.

Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.

Using an 8 qt, cast iron Dutch oven, cover bottom with 1/4" olive oil and brown chicken pieces starting skin down side.

Brown each side about 10 minutes the remove to plate and discard skin from chicken.

Sweat onions, celery and garlic about 8-10 minutes adding salt and pepper after each item is added.

Add mushroom soup, mushrooms and about 1 cup of milk, more salt and pepper, then stir gently.

Return chicken to pot, then add enough milk to cover chicken.

Cover Dutch oven with lid and place in 325F oven for about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven, add uncooked rice, stir to mix, then return to oven for another 30 minutes.

Remove from oven, keep covered, and allow to rest for about 20-30 minutes before serving. (This allows time for the rice to completely finish)

Keep a bottle of hot sauce available for those who like that sort of thing.

Enjoy

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Pennsylvania.

Brazilian Cherry.

I cut the rail into parts that were about 1/4" thick and glued them up in place, using a form.

Band sawed rough and routered to spec.

TurboCad.

Only on the bottom.

Thanks.

I did two curved stairs in that house and they were a joy to do, but I would not like to be a full time stairman.

I did eight straight runs in the same house.

I also built the columns that you can see in the picture and the entryway.

should really go and look at Tommy Plamann's work, he's much better than me.

should also go look at Mike Hide's website, he carves like an angel - but I don't have the URL handy - maybe someone can help.

Please don't get put off by the wise ass stuff - this is basically a hobbyist newsgroup and there are a lot of entrenched members who feel the need to razz the newbies.

When I first started hanging out here in the 90's, I kept my mouth shut for a long time, even though I was a pro.

The folks here are basically nice, and most of them are pretty smart - but breaking in can be a little tough.

I welcome you. I have great respect for the stair trade and its practitioners, and I hope that you wade through the initial crap and hang around for the long term.

All the best.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

A quick and easy chicken snack:

Cook some boneless beasts on the George Foreman Grill. Apply Frank's Red Hot sauce while they cook.

Slice the chicken into strips. Apply more hot sauce. Wrap the chicken, some bleu cheese, and lettuce in a warmed 12" tortilla.

Serve with celery and bleu cheese salad dressing, and a good microbrew.

FWIW, the George Foreman Grill is as useful in the kitchen as a router is in the shop (maybe a #5 to neander. )! We now have the model where the internals are removable and dishwasher safe, for easy clean up. We've cooked chicken, sausages, burgers, steaks, fish steaks, turkey breasts, boneless pork chops, and more on the thing, it's GREAT!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Sun, Feb 13, 2005, 12:49am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net says: It is not polite to stair.

Wouldn't that be, shaken not staired?

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Ooh...you get *fudge* for building stairs, AND you get paid? Damn. If I didn't have this high cholesterol, and that angioplasty to worry about...

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

Reply to
<NOSPAMtdevery

Rail-ing? Nah. We do it in _style_.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

No, no, NO. It is a style issue. _Shaker_, not staired.

"The name is Bond. TiteBond, II"

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It's interesting how this thread has dovetailed into so many other conversations...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hey good buddy this thread is about stairs This ain't the cookin channel. Just the facts and here they are: stairs staircases stairparts handrailing balusters jigs for handrailing newel posts box newel posts jigs for whatever Come on in

Reply to
florida stairman

Hey there jonz6 - a hint... I don't know what kind of newsreader you're using, or if you're posting from google, but when you don't include the text you're responding to you create a huge vacuum around your comments. People with offline newsreaders have no idea what you're talking about because most do not download every thread and keep it on their hard drive, just to look back and see what it is that you're responding to. Standard practice is to include the text you're responding to so that your comments have a context.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 12:34pm snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net (Mike=A0Marlow) outrageously claims: It's interesting how this thread has dovetailed into so many other conversations...

Gee, that's strange, none of the other threads do that.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 2:33pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (florida=A0stairman) puts out: Hey good buddy this thread is about stairs This ain't the cookin channel. Just the facts and here they are: stairs staircases stairparts handrailing balusters jigs for handrailing newel posts box newel posts jigs for whatever Come on in

Ah, we have a new group monitor. The Cabal will be pleased.

There is no Cabal.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Thanks Mike

Reply to
florida stairman

Having consulted with upper management (there is no upper management), I can state authoritatively (there is no authoritatively) that we (there is no 'we') are most definitely *NOT* pleased (there is no pleased).

The original poster is hereby sentenced to visit the newsgroup "news.announce.newusers" and read (and comprehend) the articles "Welcome to newsgroups and Usenet!" "what newsgroups are and how they work" "Common questions about using newsgroups"

*ALSO* to read and comprehend the material at: with particular attention to "Rule 3"

And to consult (and comprehend the _satire_ at) :

Lastly, it is called to the original poster's attention that the newsgroup that he has so rudely barged into is "REC.woodworking", devoted to the _recreational_ aspects of woodworking. It is not a 'construction trades' "business discussions" group.

If 'jonz6' _still_ doesn't "get it", he can request clarification by e-mail from the USENET Oracle. He should limit himself to one primary question per e-mail. Multiple e-mails are accepted.

THUS SPAKETH THE (TINC)! "Wise is the man who heeds him!"

Reply to
USENET monitor central

Genuine stair questions here, no chicken recipe this time!

I'm in the process of installing hardwood flooring in my home. My stairway is currently either pine or fir (I can see the back from the basement), covered with carpet. The ends of the bottom four steps are visible and stained. There is a railing with posts on the bottom four steps terminating at a stub wall.

As I install the flooring, I've got several questions:

It seems to me that as I add 3/4" flooring at the top and bottom steps, the first and last rise will be messed up. Would simply adding flooring, as in oak treads and finish parts, over the stair treads themselves, be a proper course of action?

On the ends of the stairs that currently show, the newel posts are nailed in place. Would I best trim around the posts, or remove the rail and posts and reinstall on top of the new flooring?

Other suggestions?

I do not want to replace the entire staircase.

Thanks, Barry

Reply to
B a r r y