Any stair questions?

Page 2 of 2
Nice stuff. Nice talking to someone who's not jerking. Where you from?What state? What wood was the stair made of? Whew! Plowing the bottom of the curved rail was a real challenge and time consuming for sure. Making curved fillet strip. Lots of work. Do you cad draw your work? Did i see bowed treads & risers? Really nice stuff- a genuine stairman... I can appreciate it....with nothing better to do than cook chicken... Buddy's good at it I'm sure. Be nice Buddy -cheer up!

Pennsylvania.
Brazilian Cherry.

I cut the rail into parts that were about 1/4" thick and glued them up in place, using a form.

Band sawed rough and routered to spec.

TurboCad.
Only on the bottom.

Thanks.
I did two curved stairs in that house and they were a joy to do, but I would not like to be a full time stairman.
I did eight straight runs in the same house.
I also built the columns that you can see in the picture and the entryway.
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page19.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page20.htm
You should really go and look at Tommy Plamann's work, he's much better than me.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/door /
You should also go look at Mike Hide's website, he carves like an angel - but I don't have the URL handy - maybe someone can help.
Please don't get put off by the wise ass stuff - this is basically a hobbyist newsgroup and there are a lot of entrenched members who feel the need to razz the newbies.
When I first started hanging out here in the 90's, I kept my mouth shut for a long time, even though I was a pro.
The folks here are basically nice, and most of them are pretty smart - but breaking in can be a little tough.
I welcome you. I have great respect for the stair trade and its practitioners, and I hope that you wade through the initial crap and hang around for the long term.
All the best.
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:33:20 -0500, the inscrutable "Buddy Matlosz"

What're y'all railing about?
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

You guys are plumb losing your caps and nosing in the wrong business ... this is certainly nothing to post or run on about, so be careful you don't trip over your aprons.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Rail-ing? Nah. We do it in _style_.
Sun, Feb 13, 2005, 12:49am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net says: It is not polite to stair.
Wouldn't that be, shaken not staired?

No, no, NO. It is a style issue. _Shaker_, not staired.
"The name is Bond. TiteBond, II"
says:

It's interesting how this thread has dovetailed into so many other conversations...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

As much as i can Whatever the market will bear! Peg it! Don't give your services away! Really...figure about as much as i can reasonably charge per day x number of days guesstimated. 300.00 x no of days plus fudge

Ooh...you get *fudge* for building stairs, AND you get paid? Damn. If I didn't have this high cholesterol, and that angioplasty to worry about...
Jason
I get $100 per tread and another $100 per riser, includes material. Finished 5 sets in as many years, pick up work to match there flooring.

Hey good buddy this thread is about stairs This ain't the cookin channel. Just the facts and here they are: stairs staircases stairparts handrailing balusters jigs for handrailing newel posts box newel posts jigs for whatever Come on in

Hey there jonz6 - a hint... I don't know what kind of newsreader you're using, or if you're posting from google, but when you don't include the text you're responding to you create a huge vacuum around your comments. People with offline newsreaders have no idea what you're talking about because most do not download every thread and keep it on their hard drive, just to look back and see what it is that you're responding to. Standard practice is to include the text you're responding to so that your comments have a context.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Thanks Mike
Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 2:33pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (floridastairman) puts out: Hey good buddy this thread is about stairs This ain't the cookin channel. Just the facts and here they are: stairs staircases stairparts handrailing balusters jigs for handrailing newel posts box newel posts jigs for whatever Come on in
Ah, we have a new group monitor. The Cabal will be pleased.
There is no Cabal.

Having consulted with upper management (there is no upper management), I can state authoritatively (there is no authoritatively) that we (there is no 'we') are most definitely *NOT* pleased (there is no pleased).
The original poster is hereby sentenced to visit the newsgroup "news.announce.newusers" and read (and comprehend) the articles "Welcome to newsgroups and Usenet!" "what newsgroups are and how they work" "Common questions about using newsgroups"
*ALSO* to read and comprehend the material at: <http://www.albion.com/netiquette/ with particular attention to "Rule 3"
And to consult (and comprehend the _satire_ at) : <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/
Lastly, it is called to the original poster's attention that the newsgroup that he has so rudely barged into is "REC.woodworking", devoted to the _recreational_ aspects of woodworking. It is not a 'construction trades' "business discussions" group.
If 'jonz6' _still_ doesn't "get it", he can request clarification by
limit himself to one primary question per e-mail. Multiple e-mails are accepted.
THUS SPAKETH THE (TINC)! "Wise is the man who heeds him!"
Florida Stairman wrote:

Genuine stair questions here, no chicken recipe this time! <G>
I'm in the process of installing hardwood flooring in my home. My stairway is currently either pine or fir (I can see the back from the basement), covered with carpet. The ends of the bottom four steps are visible and stained. There is a railing with posts on the bottom four steps terminating at a stub wall.
As I install the flooring, I've got several questions:
It seems to me that as I add 3/4" flooring at the top and bottom steps, the first and last rise will be messed up. Would simply adding flooring, as in oak treads and finish parts, over the stair treads themselves, be a proper course of action?
On the ends of the stairs that currently show, the newel posts are nailed in place. Would I best trim around the posts, or remove the rail and posts and reinstall on top of the new flooring?
Other suggestions?
I do not want to replace the entire staircase.
Thanks, Barry