Stair rods

Hello All,

I'm thinking of adding stairs rods to my new 27" stair and landing carpet runner wot I installed myself.

I know carpet rods aren't needed but I thought it would be a nice touch.

On the negative side brass 1/2" diameter stair rods seem not to come for less than about £20 each, and that's not solid brass, just tube.

I'm not keen on forking out £250-odd for what is essentially decorative, but I just wanted to check if anyone had any recommendations: I'm not keen on plated ally, it never looks the same as real brass.

I see 3/8" diameter are cheaper, I've seen £8.50 ( Carpets Direct - Simplicity range) and £12.85 ( Stair Rods UK - Mini range ) mentioned each, purporting to be tubular cartridge brass. Anyone know of any cheaper sources for real brass 1/2" stairrods, and does 3/8" look too weedy, etc? Or are stair rods not back in fashion yet?

:0)

Andy

Reply to
Andy

'Night.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

How about copper rods @ =A32 each? Electrical earth rods from any BM. Possibly copper microbore plumbing fittings on the ends. Copper needs cleaning and varnishing else it tarnishes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You could buy brass rod from a metal stockist, but 1/2" will currently set you back about £4.50 a metre + VAT, if you buy it in 3m lengths and cut it to length yourself. You then need to polish it, or send it to a metal finisher to be polished.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I found a nice set of solid brass ones at a junk shop which did house clearances.

Reply to
Roger Cain

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Hmmm, I could just about make up and polish a set or rods ( I have polishing accessories and the neighbour would let me turn the ends into something decorative on his lathe ). I don't fancy having a go at the end brackets though, thats a lot of fiddly sawing, filing, drilling and polishing x 26.

I think I'll keep an eye on eBay and recce my local junk shops etc

cheers,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

If you have access to the back of the stairs, you could use brass eye bolts. However, I would be very dubious about trying to turn a 27" long rod unless the lathe was very big, thus able to take the rod between centres, or it had a bar feed, to avoid having a long bit of rotating unrestrained bar sticking out of the back of the headstock.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar