Spare bits for a shower door ?

Just been doing some 'maintenance' work (stopping leaks actually :-\ ) on my shower. The doors are curved glass, and run on anodised ally rails top and bottom. They do this courtesy of two double 'rollers' top and bottom on each door. These rollers are actually plastic pulley wheels with a small exposed roller bearing in the middle of each. Over a period of time, the grease gets washed out of the bottom ones, then they rust up and seize, making the doors difficult to open smoothly. It's not a difficult job to drop the door off, remove the roller units, free them and regrease. One door has been a bit sticky for a few weeks now, so as I had to take the door off anyway to accommodate my fat arse kneeling in there re-doing silicone sealing, I figured I would sort the seized bearings at the same time.

Unfortunately, when I was able to get a good look, I was able to see that one of the plastic wheels has split. There was no chance of ever being able to effect any kind of repair, (it had lost some of its tiny ball bearings as a result of 'opening up' ) so I've had to put that particular wheel carrier back, with just one roller on it. It works ok, but if I lose another, it's going to be a problem. I doubt that there's any chance of getting a manufacturer's replacement. It was a B&Q special bought probably 8 or 9 years ago now. So has anyone ever seen anything like this as a spare part ? It's a plastic 'pulley' 19 mm in diameter, 5 mm thick, and the peripheral groove depth looks to be about 2 mm. The original item has a roller bearing in its centre, the plastic wheel itself forming the outer 'cage' and the brass bush in the middle of that has a hole to take an (M4?) screw to secure it to the carrier.

To be honest, I'm sure it doesn't actually need to be as elaborate as having a roller bearing. I think that a hard nylon pulley of the right size running on a stainless steel screw would be just as effective.

Any thoughts anyone ?

TIA

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

a look and see which one(s) are similar or the same as yours, I'm sure it doesn't have to be an *exact* match.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L
3rd or 4th one down:

Shower Door Rollers x 2

Materials: 304 stainless steel micro-bearing, brass, POM, nylon outer wheel and stainless steel screw (M4) - will never rust Wheel Dimensions: 19mm(diameter) by 5.3mm(thickness) Shower door rollers are internally threaded.

£12 delivered free
Reply to
Phil L

Ah-ha ! Thanks Phil. Spot on. A bit "ouch" though on the price, aren't they ? Some of the ones that are much more elaborate looking, are a quarter the price ! As it happens, the exact ones are on there as well. They come as a set of four complete units - that's four carriers with two wheels mounted on each one. 36 quid ... :-|

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily