Any recommendations for a jointer around $500 ???

Page 1 of 2
Stationary or table top... 110 v 4" dust collection port
Pros or cons welcome. Cons more so, the mfg's will all give me the 'pros' for their models, of course.
Been looking at the Delta JT360 and 37-275X X5, Jet 708457K and Grizzlys so far.
The Grizzlys appear to have more QC problems.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ron

I'd check out the Bridgewood and Yorkcraft from Wilke Machine. www.wilkemach.com
ThankX for the tip, they look pretty good.
Any experience w/the Bridgewood BW-6R 6" model or the YorkCraft YC-GJ 6".
At first glance the YC has the most +'s. Mobile base Higher RPM (4800 vs 4500) Longer fence (35" vs 28") $80 less, based on curreent 'sale' prices (are these their actual normal prices?)
Am I missing something?

'pros'
$299 for the "sale" price? If so, that has been regular for a while.
These are good machines - I like mine and have no trouble with it. I'd buy it again in an instant (unless I could afford some really big piece o' machinery and had room for it, but that's always the case, right?)
Jim Kirby
Ron wrote:

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

Yea, $299, but watch the FREIGHT CHARGES!!!

Yeah, they'll tack on another $200 in freight to the west coast.
Brian.
They call it fuel surcharge!

Hi, I also have the Yorkcraft 6"er, no problems at all. A tad over a year old. Would buy another in a heart beat.
Tony

I have a 8" Yorkcraft for less than a year I use it not more than 6 hours after I bought it and now I do not use it at all. The feed handle is not accurate and very sloppy. Hard to adjust the feed, I repair/adjust/clean it and still not happy with it.
Now, instead of planing one side and edge on the jointer, I plane both sides on the 15" Yorkcraft planer and saw both edges with my TS. I not only save time and remove very little materials with the planer and without the jointer. For a twisted or bend lumber, I cut it shorter or reduced the width with circular or bandsaw and finish it with the planer and TS. I really do not need a jointer.
Anyone interested in a 8" Yorkcraft in Kansas City area, almost new with a spare set of blades? Make me an offer or willing to trade for a drum sander.

Been lurking for about 8 months. WILEMACH and most of you guys are East of the Alleghenies while I am West of the Rockies. You all talk about wood as if it were growing on trees right outside your windows. Wrote to Wilemach as I fell for a jointer they had for about $299 but they wanted another $200 to mail it to my house. I thought they might rent a plane and parachute it in for that kind of money! So, continue to drive me crazy for a while until I find some folks out here that can make sawdust as well. And they won't be TOO much like Bay Area Dave!
@@@@@@@@@@@
There may be a screw lose in the head but it is always the tongue that rattles

On the west coast, look for Sunhill About the same price and based near your ocean. Ed
Be prepared to wait for months and months and months with Sunhill. And be prepared for them to jerk you around with "next week" or "at the end of this month" all the while.
Brian.
wrote in message

says...

I have to disagree with this post. I'm on the east coast and purchased a Sunhill 6" jointer about 8 months ago. I received it about a week after ordering it. I think it's a great machine. I got them to throw in an extra set of knives and a dust port. I cant remember what I ended up paying but with freight it was much less than $500. So far the machines been great. I like the extra bed length too.

be
this
I also have this jointer. Although I waited longer than a week for mine, I would not say that I was jerked around. They were straight forward about the wait time. The jointer has been trouble free and accurate. I simply bolted it together, adjusted the fence, and it worked great.
Brian

Based on this I emailed them and asked their price for one item. Wrote back a couple days later and "Please contact our regional dealer in NC. Steve H. Wall Lumber co. (800) 633-4062 or (336) 427-0637"
I am getting grumpy in my adage. Why didn't he just send me the price of that model to my zip code, as I asked? Not being a friendly guy and talking to sales people always puts me off.......well, I'll break down, maybe, but North Carolina is not California! We will see. Thanks for the post/reply thingy.
------
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams
says...

I just went to the Sunhill site. It's really strange but I remember the pricing being on the product page and I know I ordered directly from them. I wonder if they went to using distributors now. I just tried to find the email address to the person at Sunhill I was negotiating with, but I can't find the darn emails!! If I find it I'll send it along.
Good luck in your search. If you pick the Sunhill machine I don't think you'll be disappointed. Let me know how you make out if you follow up with them.
Your welcome,

If you're anywhere near NE Florida and can spend a little more, there may be a DJ15 in your future. It more than meets your other specifications.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Second hand gets more. I'd like it longer, but my old C'man works fine for $200. Wilson

so
My brand new Yorkcraft, 8 inch, is just about perfect. Everything works the way it should, the tables are flat and parallel out of the box. Dave

'pros'