Any recommendations for a jointer around $500 ???

Stationary or table top...

110 v 4" dust collection port

Pros or cons welcome. Cons more so, the mfg's will all give me the 'pros' for their models, of course.

Been looking at the Delta JT360 and 37-275X X5, Jet 708457K and Grizzlys so far.

The Grizzlys appear to have more QC problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I'd check out the Bridgewood and Yorkcraft from Wilke Machine.

Edwin Pawlowski

If you're anywhere near NE Florida and can spend a little more, there may be a DJ15 in your future. It more than meets your other specifications.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

ThankX for the tip, they look pretty good.

Any experience w/the Bridgewood BW-6R 6" model or the YorkCraft YC-GJ 6".

At first glance the YC has the most +'s. Mobile base Higher RPM (4800 vs 4500) Longer fence (35" vs 28") $80 less, based on curreent 'sale' prices (are these their actual normal prices?)

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Ron

$299 for the "sale" price? If so, that has been regular for a while.

These are good machines - I like mine and have no trouble with it. I'd buy it again in an instant (unless I could afford some really big piece o' machinery and had room for it, but that's always the case, right?)

Jim Kirby

R> ThankX for the tip, they look pretty good.

Reply to
James T. Kirby

$339 for the YC, $419 for the BW model/

I didn't see $299 listed anywhere, but, I'd think I'd definetly have to jump at that price. $339 isn't bad either. I have to check on S&H charges or decide to take a trip across the state.

I'm in SW PA

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Hi, I also have the Yorkcraft 6"er, no problems at all. A tad over a year old. Would buy another in a heart beat.

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Wilson

Reply to
Dave W

More than Delta? LOL. Ok.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Yeah, they'll tack on another $200 in freight to the west coast.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Been lurking for about 8 months. WILEMACH and most of you guys are East of the Alleghenies while I am West of the Rockies. You all talk about wood as if it were growing on trees right outside your windows. Wrote to Wilemach as I fell for a jointer they had for about $299 but they wanted another $200 to mail it to my house. I thought they might rent a plane and parachute it in for that kind of money! So, continue to drive me crazy for a while until I find some folks out here that can make sawdust as well. And they won't be TOO much like Bay Area Dave!

@@@@@@@@@@@

There may be a screw lose in the head but it is always the tongue that rattles

Reply to
Len

I have a 8" Yorkcraft for less than a year I use it not more than 6 hours after I bought it and now I do not use it at all. The feed handle is not accurate and very sloppy. Hard to adjust the feed, I repair/adjust/clean it and still not happy with it.

Now, instead of planing one side and edge on the jointer, I plane both sides on the 15" Yorkcraft planer and saw both edges with my TS. I not only save time and remove very little materials with the planer and without the jointer. For a twisted or bend lumber, I cut it shorter or reduced the width with circular or bandsaw and finish it with the planer and TS. I really do not need a jointer.

Anyone interested in a 8" Yorkcraft in Kansas City area, almost new with a spare set of blades? Make me an offer or willing to trade for a drum sander.

Reply to
WD

Yea, $299, but watch the FREIGHT CHARGES!!!

Reply to
WD

If you have a planer/TS/circular or bandsaw you really don't need a jointer, save time/materials and space!

Next week, I will plane a VERY twisted 4/4 red oak and post the pics in apbw, my plate is very full now.

Reply to
WD

They call it fuel surcharge!

Reply to
WD

On the west coast, look for Sunhill About the same price and based near your ocean. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've been pretty happy with my Sunhill 6". Would have preferred an

8" but just couldn't afford the $$. They're website is

Unfortunately, it looks like they're updating it and there are no prices online. I seem to remember paying around $375 for it (including shipping from Wash. to me in NM)

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

I have a used Ridgid 6", with spare knives, in excellent condition, for $275. I liked it, it works great, and I'd still be using it if I didn't buy a DJ-20.

This machine compares favorably with all of the machines you mention.

Contact me @ nospam at snet dot net if interested.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Be prepared to wait for months and months and months with Sunhill. And be prepared for them to jerk you around with "next week" or "at the end of this month" all the while.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian