any good bench plans

I'm planning on building a woofwork bench plan with drawers and all the other pieces. Any body know of good plans for a bench on the net. (preferably free).

I have seen a lot of basic plans around but i'm looking for a bit more detailed type bench

Thankyou.

hal

Reply to
hal

Steve DeMars

Looks like Steve gave you a pretty strong list.

Here's another strong list at one site:

'd recommend a Woodsmith plan for their European bench. It was the first real Woodworking project I did. Great plans and explanations for a relative novice to build and a very nice bench with multiple vices. Plus an optional cabinet with drawers, etc.

in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

Why didn't ya just say that you couldn't find any! LOL!

Reply to
C & M

Sorry, nothing personal, but your note gets the target of my diatribe today. I've never understood the obsession of getting plans for free. I mean, good grief, a good bench is going to cost $200-$500 depending on the quality of wood, size, vise choice, etc. It ought to last you a lifetime. So why not be willing to pay $10-$20 for some really good plans. My experience is that all the really good plans that include multiple views, detailed cut lists and high quality step by step drawings are all commercial and worth every penny.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

That's true, and yet, I have still not bought a single plan on the web. Not that I am cheap, but I like to have a good preview of what I am buying. A single 200 by 300 pixels image of the item does not qualify as a good enough preview in my mind. In a bookstore, I can grab a book and check it for a while before buying it. On the web, regarding plans, I have yet to see some form of preview, partial view, etc. Maybe I did not look hard enough. I just finished my workbench, based on one of Sam Allen's benches form his book Making Workbenches. But I also looked at a lot of free bench design web pages before finally making up my mind.

Now, I am beginning to look into making a miter saw station of the style found at

know there are quite a few plans I could buy, but I would like to have a better preview of materials and steps before finally deciding to spend some money on one plan, the one I would prefer. I do not want to have to buy them all just to make comparisons on what design I prefer. I guess I will have to make a post with links to the various plans and ask people who built them about some feedback...

Luc

Reply to
Luc

I understand. However you were asking for recommendations for plans here with the specificaiton that they be free if possible with no other explanation. So specify that you want to look at plans that have some kind of preview available or money-back guarantee. A workbench is a very personal thing. I believe many people end up combining favorite ideas to design "their" workbench. I bought the workbench book by Scott Landis. It has detailed plans in the back for several benches. But its mostly a good source of ideas and concepts - one of the widest ranges of ideas I've seen. I was lucky to find an old commercial solid maple bench in Houston. I've been using the book for sources of ideas on how to improve the bench (added dog holes, remounted the vise with new flush apron, added twin screw vise).

Anyway, I think you got a plethora of linksand ideas in previous links. good luck!

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Here's BugBear's compendium - beau coup links with some descriptors as well

you decide on the type of bench you like and the vise hardware it needs, GET THE HARDWARE FIRST and THEN design for them. Much easier that way. And if you're gonna go with square dogholes and plan on using "store bought" ones, get at least one of them and cut the dogholes to fit it.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Here is one I think is a GREAT free plane:

could save the pages to disc as the .mht file type. Or, I did make the whole plan into a word.doc, I can send it by email if you want, let me know.

The above link was posted back on 7/16 by Big John, in a reply to the thread "plans for bench". You could search for that thread and read the whole thing.

Reply to
AAvK

Actually I just made it into a 662kb pdf, available.

Reply to
AAvK

So many benches so little time. Thankyou guys or girls for the replies it is much appreciated

Reply to
hal

Alright all you wreckies, I'm disappointed with the lot of you!!! Do none of you pay attention to the "What's Ahead" section in your woodworking magazines? The November issue of WOOD (comes out 10/11) has a Classic Workbench as the featured project.

Granted, it's not free, but it comes to my mailbox and I only pay for it once a year, so I consider every issue but the first one after paying for the subscription 'free'.

Reply to
D Steck

woops! You thought I was the OP. I am not, I was just presenting a possible reason why people might want to get free plans.

I guess I should have bought that book too, but after checking a lot of designs on the web and Sam Allen's book, I felt I had spent enough time already thinking about it and decided to stop thinking and start doing!

Luc

Reply to
Luc