Any classes in Chicago area on using planes?

I find myself going plane crazy (C: I'm starting to collect planes, and I'd like to use them more (maybe becoming more of a Neader), but I have trouble getting the hang of it. I religiously read the wreck, and I've read a couple books, but I work better when someone shows me (vs. reading).

Anyone know of any classes in the Chicago area on plane basics (how to set them up/tune them, using them, etc.)? Alternatively, if someone wants to trek out to Aurora to tutor me for a few hours, I'd pay you for your trouble...it'd probably have to be after the first of the year, but we could work something out...

Feel free to ping me offline at jtj3 at hotmail dot com or jtj3 at comcast dot net. Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

I attended a 1/2 day seminar on hand planes a few years back at a woodworkers show in Springfield, MA. The seminar was given by Garrett Hack who does a great job. I think people like that travel around the country and do these seminars all over. You might want to look to see if they're coming your way. Its getting to be woodworking show season.

HTH

PC Gameplayer wrote:

Reply to
WCD

Dear Jim:

I invite you to please take a look at my web site:

we offer many classes that might fit your needs, take a look at July

19: Fine Furniture with Handtools and I would also suggest our sharpening class with Dennis Maddox. We are only a few hours from Chicago and we have many clients from your area that have attended classes here. thanks, and if I can answer any questions or help in any way, please contact us.

Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore