Antique tool show listings/ads

Anyone know a site or magazine where they advertise? I'm looking to outfit a small shop and I'd like to buy a few things that aren't really stocked anymore. If anyone knows of shows or particularly good dealers within a long drive of central Pennsylvania (where I live) or south Florida (where the folks are), that would be particularly welcome. Thanks in advance.
Focusing on the "aren't really stocked anymore" phrase: --it all depends upon WHERE you are shopping. 10 or 12 years ago we spent several days in the town of Prerov, Czech Republic. A visit to the local hardware store on "Main St." was like going back in time a century or two. Two or three different models of wood cook stoves and heating stoves, wooden-base hand planes and on and on and on. That's what the local people use everydy there.
Pete Stanaitis ----------------
Sledge Hammer wrote:

In article

What sorts of "few things" are you looking for? Many things that aren't exactly common are still available new if you know where to look...you might get a few more useful pointers if you ask for specifics.
Lee Valley of course carries a bunch of hand tools of yore and not of yore. (http://www.leevalley.com/) I presume you probably already know about them if you're posting here, but perhaps not.
Lehman's hardware (in central Ohio or catalog/online) carries a number of old-time sorts of products, although not quite so many workshop tools. (http://www.lehmans.com /) If you are interested in a woodburning stove or living somewhere without electricity, this is definitely one place to investigate.
Traditional Woodworker has a very impressive selection of mostly hand tools. (http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com /)
Good luck on your quest.
--
Andrew Erickson

Alas, large cast iron miter boxes (Stanley or Langdon/Miller Falls) and compatible long backsaws appear to be out of production, even at the sites you mention. Ultimately, I'd like to get a few more things, but the miter box is more immediate. As someone suggested, I have my eye on eBay as well.
I distrust the sturdiness of the Nobex Champion, which I take it to be the biggest and best currently available.

Alas, large cast iron miter boxes (Stanley or Langdon/Miller Falls) and compatible long backsaws appear to be out of production, even at the sites you mention. Ultimately, I'd like to get a few more things, but the miter box is more immediate. As someone suggested, I have my eye on eBay as well.
I distrust the sturdiness of the Nobex Champion, which I take it to be the biggest and best currently available.
The Nobex is fine, If you mount it firmly. I've had several years use from mine and I'm quite satisfied with it.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:55:20 -0800, Sledge Hammer wrote:

I've got a Goodell Manufacturing box with a Disston backsaw made for it from 1898. I found it at an estate sale. I did see two of them on Ebay a couple of years ago, so try your luck. Mine works great.
BTW, that's not Goodell Brothers or Goodell-Pratt. It's Goodell Manufacturing, the third brother :-).

I can't help you out too much around Pennsylvania (long drive is less than 3 states away, right? :-)), but if you are looking for something specific send me an email. We've had an addition of a couple antique dealers to the family and I can pass your request along.
Back in the "old days" (1990's) there were often quite a few auction listings in the local hardware store's window. Usually they'd list the types of things they'd have for sale.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.
On Dec 14, 4:05pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

I'm looking for a larger miter box and saw (Stanley 360 or 460 look like they'd do the trick from the old specs in the old catalogs) that is either intact or only needs things that I can easily substitute. A few states away works if it's in the direction of someplace I get to now and again and can combine a trip for (MD, DC, Northern VA, NJ or NY might work if I have a good chance of getting a lot done in a single trip). If I've got to drive 300 miles into Appalachia and go to 10 shops, paying the postage and risking ebay fraud isn't so bad (no offense to Appalachia intended).

I haven't seen anything like that in their shops, but it sounds like it'd be big and expensive to ship anyway.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.
You might try watching craigs list and ebay. I am a contstant watcher of both and I hve gotten quite an education of all sorts of old machines.
On ebay you can just search by specifc name of old thing or I try to go in daily. I select categories=> business and industrial=> woodworking and then sort by newly listed.
For Craig's there is a tool called CraigsList Reader Pro (google for it) that lets you search on more than one craigs location at a time so you can just choose areas to which you have access. I just had a buddy of mine, 100 miles away, pick me up a 3hp Grizzly dust collector for $100. Saved me the trip and made it possible. And then once he had it onboard his truck he just drove down and dropped it on my doorstep saving me the trip up I had planed in a few weeks.

Thank you for that suggestion! I didn't know about that.