Answer from SawStop

Page 1 of 2
"To answer your question: if there is a power failure while the saw is running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most while its internal voltage falls off.
So under those conditions (saw coasting down, no power to saw at all) touching the blade would not activate the safety system."
So here is how I read this. If the lights go out you try not to continue sawing. In the event you are very close to the blade while cutting and the power fails the blade is going to stop more quickly and the brake may activate before the blade stops.
On 12/6/2012 4:52 PM, Leon wrote:

How so????...they just explicitly said "under those conditions... touching the blade would not activate the safety system."
My reading is the sensor electronics may hang on for very short time but again w/o power the likelihood of the fusible link firing is essentially zero.
I'd guess there's also a decent chance the power transient may trash the processor anyway, even if the absolute voltage Vcc hasn't dropped below the Vmin threshold.
On 12/6/2012 5:28 PM, dpb wrote:

Power for one to two seconds to trip the brake is enough. I think if you have a black out you are not likely to continue pushing your hand towards the blade and if you do the wood should stop the blade.
Not as safe but a lot of things would have to go wrong besides the lights and power going out.
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:

Why are you pushing your HAND toward the blade in the first place?
I'm going to misquote Wilbur Wright - If you want perfect safety go sit on the fence... (but fasten a seat belt so you don't fall off!)
On 12/6/2012 5:59 PM, Richard wrote:

Well what direction do you push your hand when cutting wood on a TS?

I never push towards the blade. I push towards the back of the saw, usually along the fence or holding a push block. NEVER in line with the blade.
On 12/6/2012 10:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

But pushing towards the back of the saw is towards the blade. Not directly but your hand actually comes closer when pushing. That is the point I am making.

On 12/7/2012 3:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

regardless of of parallel or directly towards, you are not feeding the wood. You hand has to move closer to the blade to feed.
On 12/7/2012 7:11 PM, Leon wrote:

I never let my hands get anywhere near the table, much less the blade.
Make a few pushers, and use them.
On 12/7/2012 10:50 PM, Richard wrote:

Surely your comment is a troll... But to address that, the table is not going to hurt you, it is that round spinning thing that will. If you don't understand that an accident is headed your way. Push sticks are no safer than using your bare hand, something to hold down the work as you push your wood through is by far safer in that they will further help to prevent the front feed end of the work from lifting.
On 12/8/2012 8:22 AM, Leon wrote:

Troll?
I'm not going to argue with you, Leon. You do it your way.
On 12/8/2012 1:17 PM, Richard wrote:

That's what I thought.
On 12/6/2012 5:39 PM, Leon wrote:

I repeat their words...

No power, no trip...
On 12/6/2012 6:10 PM, dpb wrote:

Read his first paragraph. He is just covering his ass in the event that does not work.
On 12/6/2012 9:22 PM, Leon wrote:

Read his last words--he said it won't work reliable...which means it doesn't work and isn't intended to work.
On 12/6/2012 9:30 PM, dpb wrote:

On 12/7/2012 7:54 AM, Leon wrote:

When the designer/manufacturer says "would not activate the safety system" I think he says exactly what he means. He didn't even say it _might_ work; he said the event which is to be protected against "would not activate the safety system". Can't get more clear than that.
Write him back w/ your "explanation" of how that isn't actually what he said and see what he says in return...
On 12/7/2012 8:11 AM, dpb wrote:

Actually he did say it "might" work. copied from his reply,
if there is a power failure while the saw is running, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most while its internal voltage falls off.
Now granted any time after the 1~2 seconds you would be unprotected from the spinning blade.
Again I read that as the stop might trigger at the moment after the power failure but not after 1~2 seconds.
On 12/7/2012 8:30 AM, Leon wrote:

The operative word there is "might"...and if the discussion stopped there I might even tend to think he meant what you seem to want it to mean. But, he didn't--he went on and said it won't actuate. Just because it has some voltage that might keep the sensor electronics alive for a while that doesn't mean it'll have enough current to actually blow the fusible link when it wasn't designed for such.
You're stretching for some reason I've no clue of why it seems so important to you.
I'm killing the thread now so I'm no longer tempted to respond any longer...it's asinine. If you think there really is some way his words are misinterpreted then follow up and ask for the clarification but I think the odds are about Ivory pure that he'll tell you precisely what I've done--the sensor electronics may live for a short time but there's essentially no chance there's enough power to actually trigger the brake once't you pull the plug.