Answer from SawStop

Oh, OK, ;~)

Reply to
Leon

The operative word there is "might"...and if the discussion stopped there I might even tend to think he meant what you seem to want it to mean. But, he didn't--he went on and said it won't actuate. Just because it has some voltage that might keep the sensor electronics alive for a while that doesn't mean it'll have enough current to actually blow the fusible link when it wasn't designed for such.

You're stretching for some reason I've no clue of why it seems so important to you.

I'm killing the thread now so I'm no longer tempted to respond any longer...it's asinine. If you think there really is some way his words are misinterpreted then follow up and ask for the clarification but I think the odds are about Ivory pure that he'll tell you precisely what I've done--the sensor electronics may live for a short time but there's essentially no chance there's enough power to actually trigger the brake once't you pull the plug.

--

Reply to
dpb

Unless your nickname is "lefty", generally PARRALLEL to the blade.

Reply to
clare

And yet if your hand does not come closer to the blade as you push, regardless of of parallel or directly towards, you are not feeding the wood. You hand has to move closer to the blade to feed.

Reply to
Leon

I never let my hands get anywhere near the table, much less the blade.

Make a few pushers, and use them.

Reply to
Richard

Surely your comment is a troll... But to address that, the table is not going to hurt you, it is that round spinning thing that will. If you don't understand that an accident is headed your way. Push sticks are no safer than using your bare hand, something to hold down the work as you push your wood through is by far safer in that they will further help to prevent the front feed end of the work from lifting.

Reply to
Leon

Ok he said it might work for 1~2 seconds. BUT because it takes longer for spin down to happen it is not going to protect during the whole spin down time period, only the first 1~2 seconds.

Since you do not know what my question to him was, that may be the problem. I asked if the saw would protect in the even of a power failure. A simple answer of NO would have been sufficient if it would not protect during a power failure. Because as he explained, the cartridge might stay powered for about 1-2 seconds at most while its internal voltage falls off, you might be protected for the second or two after the power failure.

After that period of time you would not be protected during the remainder of the coast down.

Either way, you are likely to be cut if every thing goes wrong but there is a slight window of opportunity where you ge an extra second or two that another brand saw would not afford you.

Reply to
Leon

In reality, how much protection do you need? Spin down of a blade with no load takes a few seconds, a blade in the middle of a cut stops quickly by comparison. I've had the lights go out. I just froze until everything was quiet. Normal reaction time would still keep you a good distance from the blade if you were still pushing.

Yes, things can go wrong and we can argue theory all day, but in real life, I don't see it as a problem. Certainly not a deal beaker for me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Troll?

I'm not going to argue with you, Leon. You do it your way.

Reply to
Richard

On 12/8/2012 8:36 AM, Leon wrote: ...

OK, I said I wouldn't but... :)

I spent a number of years designing, analyzing and licensing safety systems for commercial reactors (amongst many other things alongst the way; this was mostly early 10-15 yr).

If I had _ever_ written such an assessment of a functional safety system or tried to weasel-word such testimony as a "might" to the ACRS (Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards the ultimate technical body that made the judgments on vendor issues before the NRC) it would certainly have been deemed as "doesn't work" and we'd have had to start over.

Not to mention, of course, my employer would have likely terminated me before the hearing was over for such incompetence as to think somehow that would be 'ok' for a safety system to perhaps work some of the time or then again, maybe it won't. :)

IOW, from what (I presume Dr Gass) wrote, it's clear the scenario is _not_ considered in the design and therefore it's almost purely happenstance if it were to happen to actually trigger under those circumstances. That, to me, is about as clear a "no" as it gets.

I think there's essentially no additional protection over any other saw under those conditions. That's not to say it isn't a well-designed and functional system for what the design _does_ include but there's no point in trying to claim it's capable of something that isn't intended on the basis of a random event occurring.

--

Reply to
dpb

Why not write back to them/him, quote the explanation and say, "Is this a yes or a no?" and end all speculation.

Reply to
phorbin

That's what I thought.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

Now I think we are seeing it the same way. ;~) The explanation would be similar to the selling the smoothness of the blade elevation wheel. You can turn it by hand or give it a quick spin and it will spin a few times on it's own. Not really a feature but something that might happen if the stars align properly.

Reply to
Leon

Because the answer would be yes if every thing and the timing is just right for 1~2 seconds and no it would not work normally. It is not a designed feature so it might or might not work.

Reply to
Leon

On 12/9/2012 7:58 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Glad to see you finally come around, Leon!!! :)

Reply to
dpb

And for you, why not trim over 120 lines of wasted text? "Is this a yes or a no?" and end the speculation that you know what you're doing.

Reply to
Dave

;~O

Reply to
Leon

Fair enough... ...but you should probably make your own oatmeal.

Reply to
phorbin