Another merger

Page 4 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Kevin Daly) wrote:

Sears: If I had wanted a roof installed by drunken illegal aliens (that roof subsequently leaked), by an installer that refused to honor the warranty, I could have gotten it for less than half the price from a non-Sears-'authorized' roofer. They haven't gotten any of my money in over 20 years now, and they won't get any for the next 20. Or ever how long I manage to live. There is sufficient competition that I don't need to deal with scum.
KMart: There was a flap in the gun groups that KMart's bankruptcy was caused by their refusal to stock ammo, and their anti-gun policies. In reality, that had nothing to do with KMart's problems. KMart ran dirty, poorly-lit and poorly-maintained stores, staffed by ill-trained help, and had (still has, AFAIK) piss poor customer service. It didn't help any that the merchandise was (is?) of uneven quality and generally overpriced. AFAICT, the upper management of KMart remains indifferent to those problems, but then again, I haven't set foot in a KMart in about 5 years. And on *that* occasion, they managed to live down to my expectations (I had to find their break room to complain that there were *NO* open checkouts).
Prediction: Sears/KMart will be merely a footnote in the history books under "failed companies" in another decade or so. And I will bid them both "Good Riddance."
-- Howard My opinionated book reviews on sales topics http://book-reviews.hostpci.com

Don't hold back Howard, let us know how you really think.
It's not like Kmart bought Sears.
Edward Lampert engineered a takeover of Kmart Holdings by converting his debt holdings to equity when Kmart was emerging from Chapter 11. He sold off a bunch of Kmart stores...some Home Depot...and with the cash generated he made the offer for Sears.
According to the paper, the plan is to convert several Kmarts into Sears stores and kick-start their expansion away from malls, at which Sears is not doing well.