Cheap Table Saw..

Hi,

I found this table saw for £40

and thought it looked quite good for the money. I am aware it's only got an 8 ins. blade, but I only need to cut thin woods..

Ta,

Sam

Reply to
SB

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:10:56 -0000, "SB" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

SB

Maybe you and TB could compare notes?

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

Poor poor poor England, She kept the pound. Such prices for such rickety crap. I suggest try to find a decent price on a used mini Ryobi table saw, or on their current BTS10.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Yes, it's a miracle of modern manufacturing that they can make such a device, drag it halfway around the world, then sell it for a paltry £40.

Would I use one ? Not if I valued my fingers.

This is A Saw of Last Resort. If I were about to drown on the Titanic, and this saw was the only chance to build a raft and save myself, then I _might_ think about using it. But I still wouldn't enjoy it.

I don't have to work wood. I don't make my living from it (Ha !). I only do it because I _want_ to, and if I used a saw like this, I just wouldn't want to any more.

You will hate this saw. You will hate it so much that you get something better, then you will hide this saw away and never touch it again. You may experience brief pangs of regret that you wasted 40 quid on it.

I don't trust this saw. I like my saws huge and terrifying, because they're safer that way. I have a very nice saw which weighs more than I do and took many years before I got it. It will slice my hand off soon as look at it, but we have this nice understanding that if I don't put my hand in The Stupid Place it won't do that. In exchange it chops up anything I feed it, and it does so quickly, powerfully and safely. This little saw though is not terrifying. It can't slice whole logs in half with a glance. So any sawing operation with _this_ saw will be a dangerous arm-wrestling match, as you hope that the motor is powerful enough to cut the wood, not just to jam, burn or throw it back at you in a half-hearted last gasp. Feeble saws do not make for safe working.

Do not buy a powered table saw until you are already using three different sorts of handsaw. You don't need it. You shouldn't _have_ it yet. These are real power tools, not toys - they deserve some respect, and you show that respect by learning to use some of the hand tools before you dive in and go for the powered version.

If you really have to spend money on buying a powered saw, then look at the Axminster AWSBS bandsaw (three times the money, I admit). That'll do useful things for you now, and it'll have some use on the future too. You'll get your money out of that in a way that I don't think you'll get your money out of this one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

LOL!

Reply to
Upscale

Hi Sam,

Reply to
Steve Williams

same as around $300

Reply to
AAvK

Don't do it.

a good sharp linoleum knife will outperform that piece of crap...

Reply to
bridger

Sam - what's your upper limit? How much can you afford? If you're at the top of your budget, then you're going to be forced into something like that. If you can afford more, then I'd *not* buy this one and instead save up for the one Andy mentioned or something like:

is the hard part about buying tools on a budget. The 9" bandsaw I bought for $99 USD got used, a little bit and served its purpose. But now that I bought the 14" bandsaw, it lies under the worktable collecting dust. From one point of view - I "wasted" $99...

Reply to
patrick conroy

Wed, Nov 17, 2004, 1:49pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com (Steve=A0Williams) says: Hi Sam, I agree with what Andy has to say you shouldn't need a powered saw at the moment. If you are looking for a circular saw I would forget the one from machine mart they're often of poor quality. Check out the Perform CCTS10 from axminster.

Interesting, different names for the same thing. I have a somewhat similar saw, with a shop made stand. I use a saw sled, a carbide blade, and it works fine. The times I use it without the sled, I most definitely use pushsticks. Usually just cut 'em out of scrap plywood.

However, "this" is what is called a circular saw around my neighborhood.

work quite nicely, using a straightedge.

JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.

Reply to
J T

umm... can I interpret that to mean that the old $99 one is under the worktable? (I hope)

Reply to
mac davis

Yeah... It made sense when it was still in my head... Guess it didn't translate right to the keyboard

Reply to
patrick conroy

Andy wait until you see the pics I upload to ABPW, if you can get that NG... A completely Satanic Oliver No. 80. The whole table tilts, has sliding sections like a built in sled. The motor sounds like something from Star Wars, 5 horse power and is quiet. The other side of the motor also has a shaft, and a table to accomodate it which was used for drilling the knob and latch holes in doors, this could also be used as a borer and a slot mortiser. The whole outfit is so heavy it is not bolted down. Check ABPW sometime soon, like today this afternoon your time.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:43:19 +0000, Andy Dingley vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Good Lord! Support for my little hobby horse again!

Wot he sed.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

I bet I have riped enough 1/4" plywood strips to go across Texas, with an old Skill circular saw bolted upside down to a 2'x2' piece of 3/4' plywood or a piece of 1x12 with a 1x2 fence tacked on with a couple of finish nails , clamped to a pair of saw horses. :) I used it for years doing raised paneling back in the 70's... I hated to have to deal with a real heavy table saw everyday loading an unloading, carrying it thru the door openings. I still make one every now and then if I need to ripe up a lot of small trim. I still have all

9.5 fingers too :) Tom
Reply to
Tom M