another handmade wooden PC

http://blogga.ru/2005/09/12/wooden_comp /

true boredom. I can see a wooden Harley but a PC??????
Bob
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:45:06 GMT, "BillyBob"

while a wooden motorcycle would be very cool, I suspect that there would be some serious engineering difficulties involved in making one that could handle the stresses of normal riding.
A PC is more like furniture, in that we all have one in our house. beige boxes don't necessarily work with everyone's decor- and neither do macintosh disneyland colors.
the one I linked to is particularly well done, and made to work with the owner's other furniture.
so no, it's not about boredom.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

One fellow I saw working at the WW club in Vienna, VA (since moved to Springfield) was restoring a wooden automobile. It appeared that at least some of the frame was wood.
--

FF

On 13 Sep 2005 11:27:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

considering that automobiles are adapted from wagons, this is not surprising. I'd even be unsurprised to learn that there were early motorcycles with wooden frame components, though I've never heard of one. early motor vehicles were low performance, low horsepower devices. a wooden motorcycle with more than say, 5 HP. *would* surprise me.

I grew up on a farm where almost all the farm equipment was originally horse drawn. It had all been converted over to be drawn with a tractor. Our manure wagon had a big steel seat on it mounted on a huge hunk of bent steel that worked as a great shock absorber-spring.
We actually had people who wanted to ride our manure wagon because they wanted to experience a little bit of horse drawn technology nostalgia.
All the equipment had metal wheels, no rubber tires. The wheels were all steel.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

That's why Henry Ford came up with the idea of charcoal briquettes. He too had to find a use for his scraps.
"EVER BOUGHT Kingsford charcoal briquettes? They're another Ford-orchestrated invention. By 1923, Henry Ford had developed several lumbering plants and sawmills in the Iron Mountain area of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The area was incorporated as the Village of Kingsford that year, after E.G. Kingsford, Iron Mountain's authorized Ford dealer -- who happened to be married to Ford's cousin, according to Ford Bryan, author of "Beyond the Model T, The Other Ventures of Henry Ford." Leftover hardwood chips were processed with starch and compressed into about 100 tons per day of charcoal briquettes. They were sold by Ford dealers all over the United States. The briquettes are still made and sold by Kingsford Product Co. of Oakland, Calif. The company is now owned by the Clorox Corp."
See:
http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/facts9_20030609.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I didn't mean your post was boring. I meant the maker must have been bored to have chosen the subject. I did not realize it was actual working PC. I thought it was an art object. My reference to the Harley was meant as an art object - replica. I've seen such a thing and it looked like it should be in the Smithsonian.
Bob
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:24:07 GMT, "BillyBob"

Some of us just use wood for everything. I used to have a pretty much unlimited supply of used parts but a case had a serial number on it. Wood is the obvious choice for a case if you are a woodworker. Making them pretty is just an extension of our hobby. Custom made cases do have advantages tho. You can make the cables come out the side or front if you want and the shape can be made to fit the space, like an 11 " shelf.
On 9/12/2005 7:45 PM BillyBob mumbled something about the following:

like my real Harley for my grandson to play on.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7
On 12 Sep 2005 10:26:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ah an artist. Mine just try to blend in.
Fantastic! It's a great blend of new and old technologies.