Another Glue Post

Once again turn to Lee Valley for your answers.

"... With an open time of 15 to 20 minutes and a clamping time of 30 to 90 minutes (depending upon application), it can be worked after 4 hours. After

24 hours it reaches its full strength, which is in excess of the strength of the strongest wood in shear, sugar maple. ..."

I have has no issues with the extended open time, except when the air conditioner was broken and it was over 100 degrees in the shop.

enjoy,

Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk

If you have opened that bottle you may want to throw it away.

Reply to
Leon

Not being able to see your project, I finished gluing up two panels (seperately) with two rails and 15 spindles on each using TBII. It was a little hairy but worked out ok. On my current project, I've got a lot of intricate (read: timely) glue ups and am planning to use Plastic Resin Glue. It seems to have about the longest open time I've seen with the exception of hide glue or epoxy. I use epoxy on occasion and that would be another good option for ye. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Never opened. Never found the need.

Reply to
CW

Correction Stoutman. I went to grab the bottle of glue for some panel glue ups today and realized it was the Titebond Extend, not TBII. Hope I didn't screw ya up! I'm still planning on getting some plastic resin glue for my upcoming glue ups. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Sun, Feb 11, 2007, 2:35pm @. (Stoutman) doth queryeth: I have a complicated glue up to do tonight (9 slats and 4 rails). I was going to use Titebond III which states "longer open assembly time" on the bottle. If you go to there webpage it states 10 minutes for assembly time. Have you gone with a longer assembly time with TBIII? Should I use something else other than TBIII with a longer open time? =A0 I'm not actually sure how long this glue up will take me, but I want to be sure I have enough time. I would rather not do the glue up in stages.

I dunno. I had been thinking about something else to do with glue and ran across this thread again.

I basicqlly use Titebond II. Period. I like it. So first thing I'd do with a quation about it would be call the 1-800 number on the back of the bottle. I've always been very happy with the service guys and their responses.

You might want to go thru a no-glue practice run. Or two. That way you might be able to catch any problem areas before they're problem areas. And time it if you've got a stopwatch, or maybe use kitchen timer. So you've got an idea of the actual time needed. You may find you will have to do it in two stages afer all.

Just s I typed that, sems to me there's some kind of glue you there you can put on, let it dry, fit the pieces together, and then use a catalysist to activate. I don't know if this is true, or just a result of reading Sci-Fi for too many years. Wait, might be so. Seems I saw something along those lines on Modern Marvels or sme such. Might want to call some of the commercial adhesive companies tech support. I'm in no need myself, so I won't call. But, if you feel pressed, I think it could give you an answer. Maybe.

Of course, there's always nails or bolts. LOL Or, maybe just something as simple as getting a helper for the glueup.

As usual, you are free to ignore any, or all, of this..

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T