Another Bench Dog Question

I've got workbenches that some people would think are antiques, built when I moved into my house in 1972. Basic construction is Square A-Frame 2x4 legs and many longitudinal 2x4 stringers topped with 1/2" plywood and an 1/8" masonite worksurface. The frame is still strong enough that I very often stand on both the top and the lower shelf to reach high things.
I recently bought some bench dogs and then started wondering how thick the wood where the holes are drilled has to be to provide good retention. Over the legs, I've got about 36" ;-), over the 2x4 stringers, I've got a measured 2" and much less between them. Is the 2" thickness sufficient to hold the dogs or do I need to provide additional thickness where I want to put them?
TIA Norm

Depends on the bench dogs and how well they fit. Please post a link to them.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
wrote: | | > I recently bought some bench dogs and then started wondering how thick the | > wood where the holes are drilled has to be to provide good retention. Over | > the legs, I've got about 36" ;-), over the 2x4 stringers, I've got a | > measured 2" and much less between them. Is the 2" thickness sufficient to | > hold the dogs or do I need to provide additional thickness where I want to | > put them? | | Depends on the bench dogs and how well they fit. Please post a link to | them.
I bought them from www.hartvilletool.com as item # 54012. They have a 5/8" steel shaft and a recommended hole of 3/4".
Norm

FWIW That is is not a bench dog it is a BENCH HOLD-DOWN. the difference is that for that you need a material with better strength resistance to deforming than MDF.
You may get away with a 1/2" wood top and bottom laminated to an MDF core
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Sorry if my cancled post got through
FWIW That is is not a bench dog it is a BENCH HOLD-DOWN so I cant give real help other than the 2" is probably good.
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml

Mine work with a 1 1/2" top. Guess it depends on how much you stress them with the vice.