Aniline Dye and Glue

I'm thinking of spraying some water based aniline dye on some shelving parts prior to glue up. Should I mask off the areas to be glued or is it OK to just dye the whole thing?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I do this as a matter of routine on door parts with no ill effect. Just be sure to let the dye dry completely.

Also be aware that dye in a spray gun is a quick way to get it onto the wood, but you'll probably have to wipe it to get it to even out. Thats been my experience anyway, YMMV.

Reply to
LP

That's great - it'll save me a little time on a project that offers slim margins at best. The joints won't be under any great stress either, so I feel pretty good about it now.

I'm actually considering dipping them at this point. I've got a shallow tray that I can use, and I'll just screw a small eye screw into each part for hanging. We'll see.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique