blochy alcohol based dye results

first attempt at NGR aniline dye, and this stuff is freekin horrible!

ok,,,now on to my question, lol

i sealed the grain using rocklers "wunderfill" thinned out a bit to allow it to get into the pores of the grain..let it dry over night, then sanded lightly to remove the overage. lightly blew off the dust, and procedded to apply the NGR dye, always keeping a "wet edge"...all went well till the surface dried completely... the wet dye in the pores "capilaried"(?) out and made some NASTY blotches on the surface...where am i going wrong on this?

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

This effect is probably more a property of the wood than the dye.

This happened to me once when I stained some maple. I periodically had to wipe off the stain that was seeping (capillary?) out of the pores. A big pain in the but.

What is your wood?

Reply to
stoutman

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 04:33:40 GMT, "stoutman" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

plain ol nuttin fancy red oak...plenty of pores. hehe

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Reply to
JGS

Been there, done that!

I use TransTint dye, it can be mixed with either water or alcohol. Using with a brush is problematic, the alcohol flashes off too quickly to get an even finish. I add solar-lux retarder to reduce this tendency, but it's still difficult to brush evenly. I would say that, in my experience, it is better to spray alcohol stains (!) than brush.

My first attempt at using this, even with retarder, was not entirely satisfactory, but fortunately it was for a shop cabinet. When mixing with water, you lose the anti-grain raising properties of the alcohol, but it is FAR easier to brush the finish without leaving brush streaks and blotches.

YMMV, (! = Fire Hazard!)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 06:20:16 -0500, JGS Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

this i will try, altho it being alcohol based, i would think 10 minutes might be too late?

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 06:54:25 -0500, Greg G. Crawled out of the shop and said. . .: snip

LOL definitely wont be lighting up a smoke for a while in there

thanks for the tips all...now back to the shop

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:10:59 -0600, Traves W. Coppock brought forth from the murky depths:

Why does everyone want to make one of the most nicely TEXTURED woods in the world FLAT AND OTHER-COLORED? (And then whine that it didn't work.)

Yagotcher Instant Karma there, dude. To repent, do 10 Hail ROYs and use painted MDF for this project.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:27:32 GMT, Larry Jaques Crawled out of the shop and said. . .: snip

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:52:35 -0600, Traves W. Coppock brought forth from the murky depths:

Is that an "Amen!" I hear, brother?

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:38:41 GMT, Larry Jaques Crawled out of the shop and said. . .: snip

"Amen" Larry, , ,"Amen" hehe

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock